[Ambassadors] FAD EMEA 2009 in Rheinfelden

Gerold gerold at lugd.org
Thu Jul 2 07:44:52 UTC 2009

> Gerold wrote:
>> if you haven't or will own an event in 2010, if you need no budget,
>> if you don't want to meet "friends" near to you, if you don't want to
>> bring your thoughts into face-to-face discussion, ...
>> ... then I totally agree with you, staying at home.
>
> My thoughts for 2010 are the same as they were a year ago for 2009:
> - We should not make LinuxTag our primary event in Europe. Maybe we
> shouldn't even be present there at all.
> ...that opinion was/is widely shared, discussed and still ignored.

A real pity that you feel ignored. Afair FAD in Basel was your great
event, where the attending group planed which is the major event in EMEA
in 2009 and where FUDCon should takes place.

> Everything else is handled throughout the year, anyway. Mostly behind
> closed doors, anyway. And mostly decided upon by only 1 or 2 people,
> anyway.
>
> By the way, during FAD EMEA 2008 you told us you are in contact with a
> vendor to produce, sell and ship Fedora merchandise all over Europe. I
> probably missed the link to that shop, which was established during the
> last 7 or so months. I also missed every status update on that.

There are legal issues (as you already followed up the trademark
discussions some guys had in the past); but Max will maybe answered more
detailed ...

> Let me bring this down to the most important points (all IMHO):
> - (During FAD), 2-3 people's votes/opinion count while the others are
> merely ignored
> - During FAD, many things are decided upon or promised to be worked on
> but normally nothing happens about those things after on

see above; but everybody need to accept your feelings, complains and
thinking about your event where more than 20 people participate.

> - Rheinfelden (particularly the Castle of Beuggen) is badly connected
> with public transports and there's no (good) bars/restaurants nearby
>
> I'm sure you can now understand why I won't attend this FAD. Even though
> I see things that should be discussed and things that need to be
> changed. I also always like to meet my fellow Fedora Ambassadors (and
> will do so during FrOSCon, OpenExpo and Red Hat Summit), which is
> actually the main reason I attend events like LinuxTag (and LinuxNacht).
>
> -- red
>
> PS. Speaking of 'meeting friends' - on wednesday/thursday right before
> this FAD, there'll be OpenExpo in Winterthur, Switzerland...just as a
> little reminder ;)

nothing more to add from my side

Gerold