[Ambassadors] FAD EMEA 2009 in Rheinfelden

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 14:30:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:03:57PM +0200, Joerg Simon wrote:
> Ok lets step back and take a break. It´s not very constructive what i could
> read here as the reason something not to do! We had FAD at this castle in 2006
> and 2007 and the work that was done there is one reason for the really good
> base Fedora has in EMEA. And come on guys, if Nayyar from Mocambique can find
> that place everybody else should ;)
> But it is not about right or wrong.

If I might make a suggestion, for some of the FADs we've begun using
the technology available in Fedora to improve remote attendance.  For
the Raleigh, NC (US) Development FAD, and for the Documentation FAD,
we used Fedora Talk to broadcast voice from our meeting space.  We
used IRC Freenode #fad to allow anyone to attend and send in questions
and input.  We used Gobby (at gobby.fedoraproject.org) to capture
notes and other syllabus information.  And of course we used the wiki
to capture the overall agenda and work items.

With a combination of these features, it is possible to have
representation at a FAD without being physically present.  It takes
only a very small additional effort by the people organizing the FAD.
Perhaps this could help with some of the issues being raised by people
about the FAD.  If the objection is primarily geography, I would
remind everyone that we as a project are scattered across the globe
and yet we still manage to work together well as a team.  Let's have
the technology be our assistant!

> I belief it is the right place to have a great result - it is a nice quiet
> place and we will get real work done like in the past years.
> Please be nice to one another - we have all the same goal!

I couldn't agree more, Joerg, thank you for reminding everyone.