[Ambassadors] Using Social network/tools to promote events

Francesco Ugolini fugolini at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 4 13:09:54 UTC 2009

Take a look at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_social_networks

According to that page, Fedora project has its own spaces in the main
social networks.

Why don't use (fill) these spaces with events we cover (invites and reports)?

I think we should really consider this way in order to spread our
activities among people, who, maybe, don't use Fedora
Planet/IRC/Mailing lists in their daily life and could be intested to
join an event in their own city. (It's an experiment, we need to
investigate on the real benefits).

If this is another way to promote our activities, at the same time, it
requires someone behind it to make the machine work.

I want to invite who is interested (without, naturally, taking you
normal Ambassadors activity time) to work with me on this initiative.

Just to give some concrete elements, this is something we could work with:

1)Twitter: create a Fedora >>Events<< channel (the Fedora_linux seems
more feature oriented)
2)Facebook: use Fedora Page (and/or Group) and its calendar function
to promote events/activities and use the Dashboard to post reports.
3)Investigate on the other social tools.

If you agree on this proposal, we could start the discussion (maybe
organizing an IRC meeting) and start planning the activity.

Naturally the decision is up to you.

Regards

Francesco Ugolini

p.s. We need to get in touch with Facebook Fedora Page/Group mantainer
in Fedora Project (maybe Paul Frields) and we need to know if it's
possible to create a #Fedora_events twitter page