[Ambassadors] ubuntu & fedora

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 17:36:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:54 AM, David Nalley<david at gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Emilio
> Simpkins<unidentified221 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems to me like there is being over-reacted to. All that was asked was a
>> simple question, and now its turning into we should have a cert test so you
>> can be an ambassador. I gotta say, it doesnt look very friendly and inviting
>> to newer ambassadors when there question is turned around on them and there
>> told , "Well you should already know the answer to this".
>>

> There is more to this issue than this particular thread and it is
> something the Ambassadors have struggled with.
> The Ambassadors is not a fan club, or user group, though we are all
> fans and users for the most part. The issue is that the function of
> the Ambassadors is to represent Fedora and serve as a liaison to the
> wider free software community and the public at large. The problem
> arises when those people tasked with the job know little or nothing
> about Fedora and it's goals and ideology. For instance, we repeatedly
> had Ambassadors who argued for and couldn't understand why Fedora
> didn't include non-free software such as proprietary kernel drivers.
> Those individuals, who are no doubt fine upstanding people in their
> own right, can't do a good job of representing Fedora because they
> don't understand Fedora. We've put in place a mentoring system for
> prospective Ambassadors that hopefully will eliminate much of this
> problem, and help better educate those who wish to get involved with
> this sub-project.

yup, agree.

however, the mentoring process is for new ambassadors ..  how are we
going to (re)educate our current ambassadors to get them with the
correct mindset and information ? ..

I believe I know and understand about Fedora and believe I can
represent Fedora, however, some of the information I had might be
wrong, or my approach might be is inappropriate, etc, should we have
some sort of resource area, where ambassadors, new and old alike, can
refer or study from ? ..

mentoring for new ambassadors is great, but the old ones might need
some resources to study ..

my 2c