[Ambassadors] New Project: Blur

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 14:09:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:12:39PM -0400, Braden Faulkner wrote:
> I never thought of it like that. So, I think it might be best if I close the
> project right now.

You won't be surprised to learn that you aren't the only person to
have pondered this and come up with projects to work on it. :)

For example, this mailing list ...

... is for, "Discussions and collaboration between distributions."
It's ideally used for some of the kind of discussion you are thinking
needs to exist.

One thing that we *can* do as Ambassadors is to continue to explain
and demonstrate for people why choice does not have to mean
problematic fragmentation.

I've been in discussions in the last year about a Linux "dairy
council", an idea drawn from the Dairy Council in the US that spawned
the "got milk?" advert campaign.  Perhaps a better analogy is cheese
-- there are many varieties and variants of cheese, all are made using
the same essential concepts, yet there is a world of difference
between fresh mozzerella and a fine, aged Stilton.  Some people think
the Linux Foundation should handle this.  No one currently wants to
fund a general education advert campaign.

Being able to explain to people why those differences exist is our
challenge.  Sometimes I borrow the story from Zonker (OpenSUSE
community manager), "I don't try to tell people that one distro is
better or worse than the other.  It's like underwear: I chose my brand
of underwear because it's comfortable to me; you should do the same."

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41