[Ambassadors] ubuntu & fedora

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 14:18:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 09:41:26PM +0800, Izhar Firdaus wrote:

> i believe he is asking for a way to answer that question ... its a
> very common question asked by users..
>
> i usually mention this to new people -> "technically, they are similar
> .. what available in ubuntu can be available in fedora and vice versa
> .. main difference is the goal, community, purpose, and some internal
> architectures " ..
>
> I wonder how other Fedora ambassadors answer that question ...

I answer almost exactly as you do.  I say something such as:

  "95% or more of the code is the same, although each distro chooses
  how close to 'absolute new' their code is.  For example, in Fedora
  you might get a number of pieces of software that are newer than
  those in another distro, and for other pieces they may be older or
  different choices for default than other distros.  A lot of the
  visual difference you see is just how the desktop is polished.

  The technical differences are mostly visible to systems
  administrators and mainly haved to do with package management and
  configuration files.  All of these differences arise from community
  values.  If a distro has a value of, 'Be the best desktop possible
  that Just Works,' then you are going to make technical, marketing,
  and community choices that support that value.  If your values are,
  'Draw together the best of current 100% free software for our
  community of participants to use to improve the state of the world,'
  then you are going to make different choices.

  I recommend you study the values of the Linux distributions, try out
  their live versions, and pick the one that resonates the most with
  your personal values.  Then participate like mad."

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41