[Ambassadors] our wiki categories

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Mar 1 17:50:08 UTC 2009

For Ambassador user pages we ask people to use a deprecated category
naming scheme:

[[Category:AmbassadorsCountry]]

One main problem here is that MediaWiki doesn't search within a fixed
string.  If someone is searching for "Spain", a page named
wiki/Category:AmbassadorsSpain does *not* turn up in the page title
results.

Having natural language categories helps with translation.  For
example, translating [[Category:Ambassadors from Spain]] makes sense
to translate, where [[Category:Ambassadors Spain]] does not.

One of the best ways we can organize our wiki content is with
categories, so I encourage us to make changes to how we use
categories.

[[Categories:Ambassadors from North America]]
[[Categories:Ambassadors from Russia]]
[[Categories:Ambassadors from People's Republic of China]]
etc.

There is one other category that we use that could take advantage of
sub-categories and be very useful.  Here is a vision for our event
categories that would do that:

[[Category:Events]] -- Very few actual events, holds other categories
  [[Category:Events in North America]]
  [[Category:Events in 2009]]

Then for every event in 2009 in North America, we put in those
categories at the bottom.  For every event in 2009 in EMEA, we put it
in the [[Category:Events in 2009]] category but the [[Category:Events
in EMEA]] regional category instead.

Then you can see a slice of just EMEA events, just 2009 events, just
North America events, etc.

Furthermore, [[Category:Events in 2009]] can also be a sub-category of
[[Category:Events in North America]], so you can go to the NA events
category and see sub-categories for the 2009 events, upcoming 2010
events, and the many years of events gone by.

All of this is to replace the fake nesting
[[Ambassadors/Events/NorthAmerica/2009]] that is:

* Hard to translate
* Hard to decode unless you already know what to look for
* Difficult to find via search properly

Opinions?  Help to make this happen?

Clue:  we are already trying to do this work in the wiki gardening
team, but need all your help to stop the proliferation of
[[Category:AmbassadorsCountryname]] and so forth.

Thanks - Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41