[Ambassadors] FAmSCo Mission

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:02:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, inode0 wrote:
>
>> While it might seem a trifle, I would like to request that FAmSCo consider
>> striking the word "manage" and substituting the word "assist" in this text.
>> The use of manage here suggests certain things that from my experience don't
>> seem to be in sync with either the reality or the spirit of the relationship
>> between FAmSCo and the ambassador community.
>
> Good point.  I actually like "enable" or "empower" better than "assist".

Sorry if I seem to be overly pedantic on this point but I'm trying to
avoid conveying the notion that there is a hierarchical power
structure with FAmSCo sitting on top of the Fedora Ambassador
community. I rather think that if I were creating a charter for the
Fedora Ambassador community it might include creating a committee like
FAmSCo which the ambassador community empowers to do certain things on
its behalf.

The principal meaning of enable doesn't carry the baggage of either
manage or empower and does capture the essence of the relationship
between FAmSCo and the ambassador community. So I prefer either assist
or enable over empower.

Now I'll stop being a pest about this little point ...

Thanks,
John