[Ambassadors] Re: Formation of KGEC LUG.

Rohit Gupta rohit.kgec at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 10:27:30 UTC 2009

>    1. Re: Formation of GNU/LUG of KGEC.. (Ashok Gautham)
> Well done Rohit! It is a great initiative.

Thank you for your Support.

> Anyway, I have the following things to say/ask
>
> 1) I feel too much of organization may ruin and demotivate as much
> as motivate.
>         Have a barcamp like structure. Probably one head is OK

I am also feeling the same but I also want to have a kick start. This
will, I think, create more awareness among students and some of them
will come up. If we are able to help them then it can have a long
lasting chain effect. The problem I feel here is the experience we
lack.
One head can be done easily. I don't know the barcamp structure. I
googled it and I think it is like getting everyone opinion and
starting the discussion. If you mean this, we will be doing this.

> 2) Use a parent LUG. Ensure that all members follow that LUG too. Try
> solving problems by yourselves. Forward to parent LUG if needed.

We will make NITDgp LUG the parent LUG and encourage members to follow that too.

> 3) How many people are there in the LUG at the moment?

The Details of LUG is not yet announced. There are a bunch of students
trying out fedora after the KGEC installfest. I have mainly involved
all the active members of installfest.
There are 10 people in the core committee at the moment.
There are some more interested candidates and I plan to involve them
too. These include the few Linux users of our college.

> 4) Take up a project that could use some love. I had this plan for a LUG
> at my college. But not many others were interested in a LUG.
>         Adopt a project. Read source for a month. Each member should take
> up a module or two based on his/her competence and should explain in
> brief what he/she understood. Then at the end of the month, one/many
> members can take up the project and start contributing real time.
>
> 5) Have a PC holding git/mercurial/svn checkouts of projects you do and
> constantly produce logs. This will motivate people to churn out more and
> more code.

We will surely try out all these stuff, but for the time being, I am
concentrating on establishing a stable LUG in our college.
I will do need the community guidance and help but presently, we need
to create users than developers.
We plan to do these stuff after we get sufficient response and users.

> 6) The one who contributes the most gets to be the next head.

Yes this will be done.

>Have a badge for the head.

We are going with certificates.

Thanks for your support and please do always guide us with the work we
need to do. Sorry the late reply. I am facing a lot of problems due to
limited hrs of internet access in my college. I will do try to give my
best.

Regards:
Rohit Gupta
Fedora Ambassador