[Ambassadors] mentorship, sponsorship, etc.

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 26 09:41:40 UTC 2009

> (2) Reforming our barriers-to-entry and sponsorship process to remove time
> limits, but to require specific actions and a show of progress.
>
> (3) Putting together a mentorship/sponsorship system similar to that of
> Package Maintainers.

Agreed.

Although, I'm not sure that a specific set of actions is required. For
example, to enter packaging, everything relies on the sponsor, not on
a list of actions. If your sponsor thinks you're ready, even if you
didn't submit X packages and made Y reviews, then you can enter.

For Ambassadors too, I think the list should be only a guidance for
the mentor/sponsor to take his decision, but in the end, he should
decide if the new Ambassador is ready based on his impressions, not on
a TODO list.

I only have one concern though: how will the first mentors/sponsors
list be seeded ? Here is a quick proposal:

1. FAmSCo members are obviously active / able to sponsor a new Ambassador
2. FAmSCo members know the most proheminent regional leaders
3. FAmSCo members and those regional leaders know the most active
Ambassadors in their regions and whether they are able to be a
sponsor/mentor or not
4. Take all those people, from FAmSCo members to regional leaders and
the ones they will point, you have a list of potential
sponsors/mentors.
5. Ask all those people if they want to be a sponsor/mentor and give
those who want an "ambassador-sponsor" title (in FAS ?)
6. Let the group grow just like the Packaging sponsors group is
growing with its own set of quality measurement...