[Ambassadors] EdTech Day follow-up

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Fri Mar 27 19:16:40 UTC 2009

Yesterday I attended the 19th annual Educational Technology [1] day at
Ithaca College in Ithaca NY, USA.  As you may have guessed by the title,
this show is focused on technologies used in k-12 as well as higher
education.

I was camped out in the Ithaca Free Software Association [2] booth for
the day, so I must extend a hearty thank you to Eric and Marty for their
booth hospitality.  I also need to thank Charles Profitt of the
Rochester LUG/Ubuntu NY LoCo for giving me a ride to Ithaca (going green
by way of the carpool).  And last but not least, Brian Neil for
volunteering his time to jockey all 320 disc in and out of my printing
and duplicating equipment.

I met with a mix of Students, faculty and staff from numerous schools in
upstate NY (Elmira College, Cornell, Syracuse, University of Rochester,
K-12 from the area Etc).  I was also able to meet with community
members.  In fact, the rush was more like a crush of people.  For
example, we had 300 discs at 9am when the doors opened.  At 10:30 we
handed out the last disc.  (I saved 20 sugar spins for my talk and I'm
glad I did)

While it's my preferance to keep a notebook handy to record contact info
for the people I meet with, this was darn near impossible.  Instead I
relied upon my business card and the few I was able to collect.  As of
this writing, I've made contact with those I had cards for and I've had
one email come in.

My presentation of OLPC - What if..? was well attended.  While I didn't
get a head count, we made it to standing room only - so I would estimate
40-ish.

Immediately after my presentation I was again, mobbed with questions
about Math4, OLPC and Fedora at the booth.  (good stuff eh?)

At about 2pm I was finally able to go visit the other booths and was
stopped in the main hall by David Weil, the chair person for EdTech.  He
thanked me for coming on short notice and offered OLPC/Fedora/Sugar Labs
space for next year.

One final note, I was able to promote POSSE a bit so I hope we'll be
able to fill the bootcamp.
Reply with questions.

Notes at https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User:Webpath/EdTech
Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/23277267@N03/sets/72157615986454834/