budgets for all regions (was Re: [Ambassadors] NA EventsExpectation Proposal)

David Duncan dduncan at rubackedup.com
Sat Mar 28 14:27:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 14:09 -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM, David Anderson <dca at projectcellular.com> wrote:
> > The only reason I bring it up as volunteering for the Florida Linux Show (Orlando) in
> > October as possibly a ticket-taker or other odd-job I can leave a bunch of the pens on
> > the table(s).  Don't know, this is the first Linux show in Florida I've been to, heck most of the
> >shows I have been to were more general hosted by VMware or IBM...
>
> I have to say I think swag is far more effective when someone gets to
> chat with the people getting it. I'm not sure it gets us much value to
> just leave it sitting about.

I agree that the engagement is far more important than a grab box, the
contents of which belong to the first unscrupulous passer-by.

I hope this doesn't change the direction of this thread too much, but
here goes.

It would be nice to have mementos (swag) available for those people we
engage even daily.  I am very interested in having swag on-hand for
unplanned participation in events.  I would also like to have something
more than the USB keys and live-cd's I make myself for LUG meetings and
such. Even if I wear the FA Polo when I give it out, the media I provide
doesn't have a lasting association with the Fedora project other than
the contents.

I agree that the content of the media is most important, but the "swag
factor" goes a long way when it is available.  I can't tell you how many
people are jealous of my Red Hat pens and notepads and how many
conversations that has started on opensource.  I am willing to purchase
said swag, i.e., pens, tattoos, and other such trinket items, in order
to have them available for those who express a desire to know more.

> John

<!snip>

--
David Duncan <dduncan at rubackedup.com>