[Ambassadors] mentorship, sponsorship, etc.

Heherson Pagcaliwagan herson at azneita.org
Sun Mar 29 13:07:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Satyajit <satyajit at nerdshack.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I have been an ambassador for more than a year now, but honestly have
> not been able to contribute in ways I thought I would when I joined. My only
> contribution would be a little help here and there in spreading the word of
> Fedora to friends, colleges, students. I have also helped in burning cds and
> installation.

Same with me Satyajit. But I believe, that's the whole ambassador in a
nutshell. :D

>    Honestly the difficulties I faced were mainly I did not have anyone to
> account to. I believe that we can come up with plans but with work pressure
> and other factors plans can go wasted if we are not accountable to some
> body. I did not have a schedule as what are the possibilities I could
> achieve in a year or a given time.

Since, Fedora Ambassadors is a volunteer program, it should not impose on
time you can't commit. For myself and others in the Philippines, we have
three big activities for every year - two Fedora release parties and the
Software Freedom Day. In between those three, we split time on whatever
comes along and if we can fit them on our schedules.

>    I do meticulously read the threads in the list, but that's all. I do
> want to be involved but I am not very clear on how I could do things. I did
> write a mail on it and did get a suggestion to get into infrastructure, but
> then again I was clueless there too. I did send a mail to that list but did
> not get any replies. I do understand we all have busy schedules, but the
> idea of a mentor would be good. As one with more experience in the group
> will definitely be able to see capabilities in one with lesser experience
> and be able to guide that person.

I agree whole-heartedly on the mentor thing. It would make the assimilation
process faster.

>    Currently I am in Bangkok, Thailand. The meeting schedule comes up on
> the time I am unable to attend. With just another ambassador in the area I
> really am clueless in promoting fedora beyond my work place. I have been
> successful at work getting one of the servers to run on fedora and many
> other machines too. I would love to do more.

If it's any consolation, we're re-organizing APAC to better respond to the
geographical challenges APAC Fedora Ambassadors face. I believe you're in
our group[1] :D

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/APAC/Regions

--
Heherson Pagcaliwagan