[Ambassadors] Mentors, Sponsors, etc...

Leam Hall leam at reuel.net
Tue Mar 31 11:08:07 UTC 2009

As a new member to the Ambassadors mailing list, may I offer the
"Outsider moving in" view?

In both business and military careers I have seen measurable advantage
in providing a new group member a "sponsor". Small problems that can
overwhelm the newbie are quickly resolved because the sponsor knows
where to find the answer. Joining a group and integrating in can be
emotionally exhausting for those of us who are introverts. It is very
important to have a 1:1 person we can discuss with and talk to when the
1:700 overwhelms us.

Beyond the "how much do I know about Fedora" question you might want to
know what I *feel* about it before you send me off to represent it! If
an Ambassador is to be a person with some field experience then they
probably come with a few opinions as well. Maybe some baggage, too. The
FA program might want to ensure the potential representatives are in
fact representing Fedora well.

There is also a significant advantage in having a Mentor actually find
out what I know, or do with my time. For example, if I do some volunteer
work it might spark some conversations about how I can introduce Fedora
to the non-profit. Or the ham radio group. Or the sports group that
needs some scoring software help. Or the adoption service that could use
a webserver group.

A Mentor might even be useful to find out what latent talents I'd love
to develop and hook me up with someone who can help my progress. That
way the other person gets an apprentice, Fedora gets a welcome worker,
and I get some personal growth.

While having some small conversations with David and Joerg neither of
them have proposed a requirement to join that really bothers me. The
clarity of the process could be improved and Joerg has responded well in
that. David has made himself available for local events and put forth a
good image for Fedora. In both cases there has been a social exchange
based on equality. They listen to me, I listen to them, and I have come
to trust their opinions based on the interactions we've had. Both Joerg
and David have earned my respect and now are free to provide critique if
I need to evaluate some personal behavior before representing Fedora to
the world.

If there is a process to go through before becoming a full privileged
Ambassador, I have no problems doing so. Call me a Diplomat, an
Ambassador in Training, or just a flunkey; it doesn't matter. But show
me by your willingness to invest in me that I'm important and that by
association Fedora is important. You will then get a clear view of what
I can provide and have a motivated worker on your team.

Leam