[Ambassadors] [RFC] Map of Fedora Ambassadors

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 12:59:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:49:56AM +0100, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:20, susmit shannigrahi
> <thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, it was being discussed here.
> >
> > The outcome was https://fedorahosted.org/shomyu/
> > is a good candidate but needs a bit love.
> > And Mathieu asked for some help for further improving it.
>
> I was thinking about going to FUDCon in Berlin and have a shomyu
> hackfest / barcamp to make it suitable for our needs.
>
> Would some people be interested in such a session ?
>
> I didn't really get the difference between a barcamp and a hackfest,
> could someone explain it to me so I can do the most appropriate (still
> in case I am able to go to FUDCon).
>
> > [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:MathieuBridon
>
> Except this page doesn't exist, it's User:Bochecha :P

Hi Mathieu,

The BarCamp is a day of tutorials -- technical sessions that are
usually more like a lecture or discussion group.  Anyone with a topic
of interest can lead one of the sessions in the BarCamp.  The BarCamp
is focused on sharing information and learning.  The schedule is
self-organizing and collaborative.  For more information, you can
check out http://barcamp.org.

A hackfest isn't as much about talking so much as *doing*.  There is
usually a leader (or in some cases more than one) but the emphasis is
not on sharing information but actual creation of work product.  Often
it's code but it can just as easily be other things like artwork or
stuffing boxes.

Both the BarCamp and the hackfest are building blocks of collaborative
events.  How you participate is purely up to you and the goals you
want to achieve.