[Ambassadors] our wiki categories

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 01:59:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 06:13:37PM +0100, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:

> >> Any news on this question ?
> >
> > I'm thinking the definition of "Event" precludes this, and it should
> > be a "Meeting" instead. ??An event, at least by Fedora standards and
> > budgeting, is really something that happens fairly infrequently, like
> > once a year or quarter. ??We budget funding for events, but generally
> > many Ambassadors attend or hold meetings of local groups on their
> > own. ??For example, I have a nearby LUG that I attend regularly, but I
> > don't list that as an event for Fedora to fund.
>
> Well, I also think that LUG meetings are not really events...
>
> This one is a little different, in the sense that it is an event
> organized regularly by a local LUG. The target audience is _not_ LUG
> members but rather the general public.
>
> We also hold a round table on some subject in related to FOSS (last
> week it was about the future french law).
>
> In fact, it's exactly like an Install Party for a release, except that
> it's happening once a month, and it groups several distributions.
>
> Whether it qualifies as an "Event" or a "Meeting" doesn't really
> matter, I'm just looking for the right category to use.
>
> Of course, I could pick one and use it. But if everyone simply picks
> one and uses it, we will have as much categories as we have pages...
> :-/

Thanks Mathieu, this helps clarify things.  Originally, my feeling was
that we should be saving the Events category for those happenings that
Fedora will consider funding.  But when I look at the issue further, I
don't think that's fair to Ambassadors who want to be able to record
their work somewhere and have it seen by the larger audience.

I'd say, use [[Category:Recurring events]] if that's not too
confusing.  I set this up already, but it can be renamed if needed.