[Ambassadors] NA Events Expectation Proposal

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Mar 21 18:27:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 05:25:32PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:

> So - if you are going to talk at a LUG meeting - consider showing up with pizza
> If there's a BarCamp - consider having Fedora sponsor it - and make
> sure you pitch a lot of Fedora/FLOSS/Linux talks.
> If there is a conference we are going to have a presence at we should
> be sponsoring it.

I tend to agree, and in fact was stuck recently when asked if Fedora
would sponsor LinuxFest Northwest.  The reason I didn't say yes was
budget.  AFAICT, we don't have the money to fund getting people there,
running a booth, and providing any sponsoring more than ... US$100?

OTOH, I would argue that your approach is a good reason for Max to
argue for more event budget overall.  While it is not in Red Hat's
interest to sponsor a show they cannot get good sales leads from,
Fedora's purpose is different.  We *do* get new participants and
contributors at every show we attend (which are equivalent to
'qualified sales leads' for Fedora!), and would obviously get more
value if we get the brand out there as a sponsor and organizer.

At this point, FAmNA needs to decide to funnel money in to
sponsorship, which will probably reduce the overall number of events
we can do this year.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41