[Ambassadors] mentorship, sponsorship, etc.

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Fri Mar 27 11:58:32 UTC 2009

Inline reply follows

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:18 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I warn you in advance that this is a very long email.
>>
>> There's been a discussion on famsco-list for the last week and a half now,
>> and I volunteered to try to summarize some of that conversation, so that we
>> could move it to fedora-ambassadors-list.
>
> Wow! This took some serious effort Max and I really appreciate it.
> Helping the ambassador community understand the work that FAmSCo is
> undertaking and giving us the opportunity to contribute to the end
> result is really a great thing for the community.
>
> My response might be longer than yours so please bear with me. All
> comments below are intended to just let you know the way I'm thinking
> about these issues. I don't expect you to adopt them, just give them
> some consideration and make your best decision after suffering through
> what you are about to suffer through. :).

Hi John - I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Due to the length of your responses I printed them out, read through
them a few times, and marked up my copies.

>> The main topics of the discussion center around these three points:
>>
>> * Purging of inactive Ambassadors
>> * Mentoring
>> * Raising the standard for membership
>>
>> ===
>>
>> The thread was started by David Nalley, and his initial email brought up the
>> following:
>>
>> The "probation" idea for Fedora Ambassadors is flawed, and can be improved.
>>  Improving it will help raise the overall quality and effectiveness of
>> Fedora Ambassadors.  In particular, David advocated for the following:
>>
>> 1) Fixed term for probation should go away, and be replaced with a specific
>> set of tasks that need to be achieved.
>>
>> 2) If someone makes no progress in X amount of time, we purge them from the
>> system.  If they are making progress, then give as much time as is needed.
>>
>> 3) New Ambassadors should immediately be given a mentor -- a specific name
>> of an Ambassador in their region.
>
> To help you understand my thoughts on all this I'd like to begin by
> describing the roles of mentor and sponsor as I'll be using them since
> I don't think everyone agrees on what these roles are currently. Oh,
> heck, let's just visit a dictionary for this.

Excellent idea - does us no good if we have a discussion but don't
have a common reference.

> Mentor:
> (1) A wise and trusted counselor or teacher.
>
> Sponsor:
> (1) One who assumes responsibility for another person or a group
> during a period of instruction, apprenticeship, or probation.
> (2) One who vouches for the suitability of a candidate for admission.
>
> Given these common definitions, I think in the early stages of
> membership we want to pair up in some fashion a new ambassador (or a
> new candidate to become an ambassador) with a sponsor. The role of the
> sponsor would be to help guide the candidate through the process and
> in my opinion should culminate in the sponsor recommending the
> candidate for admission to the group. There should be some at least
> loosely defined criteria for anyone recommended by a sponsor that
> should include basic grokking of free software and the philosophy of
> Fedora. This doesn't need to be a high bar but just some minimal
> understanding of key issues demonstrated by the candidate.

So my concern here is the shear number of applicants and thus
workload. Unfortunately due to some of the privacy concerns, people
outside of FAmSCo don't see the volumes of people we already reject.
based on their failure to follow directions and complete things like
User:foo pages. I don't have exact numbers though I am sure Joerg
could provide them, but my feeling is that for every approved
Ambassador there are four applicants. Immediately funneling them to a
sponsor will rapidly overload our sponsors I fear.

> kital has been performing the guidance function for all new
> ambassadors and we should relieve him of some of that burden.
>
> Once admitted to the group as an ambassador we should help the new
> ambassador find a mentor for longer term, deeper help. This often
> might end up being the same person as the sponsor if they hit it off
> well. But it could be anyone the ambassador trusts and is comfortable
> working with who can volunteer the time to help this ambassador. I'm
> not sure all sponsors would be able to provide deep mentoring to
> everyone they sponsor. That is asking a lot I think.
>
>> 4) Current restrictions on getting resources as an Ambassador while on
>> probation should go away, and be replaced with "at your mentor's
>> discretion".
>>
>> Max's note #1: This begins to lay out what looks like a more formal
>> sponsorship process for Ambassadors, which is similar to the sort of thing
>> that happens in the Fedora Package Maintainers community.
>>
>> Max's note #2: As Fedora Ambassadors continues to grow, a sponsorship
>> process becomes more and more critical, and Package Maintainers has set a
>> good example and precedent.
>
> I agree with this and think we should bite the bullet and just set up
> a sponsorship system now.

Just to ensure that we are all on the same page. The packaging
sponsorship process often takes months, esp for a newcomer who doesn't
know the people involved. Not saying that this is a bad thing, but
it's a marked difference from where we are today, and want to make
sure that people understand some of the shift we are talking about.