[Ambassadors] mentorship, sponsorship, etc.

Aaron, Li eagerclouds at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 01:22:10 UTC 2009

Well, after reading the thread, I would like to give my supports to the
ideas of mentor system and opposition to others.
The mentor system will help enlarging our team, and more effective freshers.
And other 2 will do harm to our goal, in my idea. Why we want to divide the
people here into several groups, and puting a tag(idler, nobleman, etc) on
their head? Maybe the start point of this advice is good. It's just like a
online game, the guy starts as a cotton garments, and he wants to be a great
man with his hard-working. But, But, this is a community, not a online game.
Also the standards, it's too general to be used to rank a score. It's
excepted that after the purging, then in short time, a noisy, disorderly
fight or quarrel will start again about the ranking.

2009/3/28 scott mcbrien <smcbrien at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Mani A <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Quality of Ambassadors:
>>
>> I think the best way to measure it is through a simple credit system.
>>
>> 1. a.)  Ambassador /prospective ambassador reads *important* article
>>       (Only some articles may be eligible for credit)
>>    b.) Prospective ambassador answers related multiple choice questions
>>    c.) If a minimum score of 90% is not attained, then the candidate
>> goes through the whole process again.
>>
>> On successful completion, candidate gets 1 credit or some credit.
>>
>> 2.  a.) Ambassador/prospective ambassador contributes X no of commits
>> to a Fedora project.
>>
>> We know plenty of inefficient code metrics. Based on a less
>> inefficient one we give some credit to the candidate.
>>
>> Only exceptionally hard working programmers should be able to become
>> ambassadors based on their code contribution alone.
>>
>> 3.   Ambassador /prospective ambassador writes a article in
>>
>> This is getting long.
>> Shall I make a wiki page for the evaluation system?
>>

>> Best
>>
>> A. Mani
>>

>>  --
>> A. Mani
>> Member, Cal. Math. Soc
>

> Ok, I have a problem with a ranking or evaluation system.  It's one thing
> to have a mentee period, because I think we can all agree that the current
> program lacks an effective onboarding strategy for getting want-to-be
> Ambassadors involved.
>
> The kind of system proposed above reminds me of why I quit playing World of
> Warcraft.  For those of you who don't play Massively Multiplayer Online Role
> Playing Games (MMORPGs) I apologize in advance if the analogy doesn't make
> sense.  I was in a pretty decent sized guild but then they started a ranking
> system where points were awarded for participation in 5 hour long dungeon
> raids.  I had other interests, and a job, and a myriad of other things that
> occupied my time.  Before I knew it, I was so behind the points eight ball
> that it was pointless for me to play because I'd never be able to redeem
> enough points to get whatever it is one redeems points for.
>
> Having a points or ranking system for Ambassadors will ultimately lead to
> the idea that one is a better Ambassador than another because they have more
> points, regardless of how passionate the Ambassador is.  Having ranks is
> detrimental to the point that Fedora is a community, moving together
> forward, in an inharmonious cacophony to be sure, but forward none-the-less.
>  Should an Ambassador be penalized because their job, family, other
> interests are requiring more time than they used to and they can't spend as
> much time with the community?
>
> I've read this thread throughout and say ++ to a mentor system, ++ to
> having published milestones/events mentors encourage new ambassadors to
> complete.  I am completely opposed to these milestones being required to be
> [...]

Regards