[Ambassadors] Re: FAD @ LFNW

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 4 16:52:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 12:56:29PM -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> First is that we need a representative (or two) to sit at the entrance
> and answer questions.  Something like 'Ask a Fedoran' at a small table
> right near the door.  This is much like triage.  If people come to
> work on an activity that we've advertised, they'll get them inside and
> working with someone who's in charge of that particular activity.
> This is the key and part of what keeps us focused.

This is a very astute observation.  I know that a FAD is being
organized for the SELF conference[1].  Hopefully the folks setting
that event up will look at the experience of the LFNW FAD attendees
and use it to inform their planning.

> Secondly, I think we need to have a design of what we're there to
> accomplish.  At SCaLE, we had a much better idea of what was to be
> accomplished.  We went to task on it and were able to complete a few
> things.  This was good and with the triage person, we really could've
> gotten more done.  Thus a learning experience.  At LFNW, it felt more
> like we were scattered, didn't really have any idea of what we were
> going to work on until we showed up and because of that, we didn't
> really accomplish much at all other than helping folks with their
> fedora problems.

Point also well taken.  This is something that Max and I agree with
whole-heartedly in general.  Whether you call it the "5P principle" or
come at it from the standpoint of budget allotment, it still makes
sense that having a plan going into the event is always going to
contribute to success.

> In both cases (SCaLE and LFNW) I have found that we were well received
> and that people were excited to see our presence.  We've made a great
> impact on these communities.  However, with the two improvements I've
> mentioned, I feel we could really help these communities *and* get a
> few things done.  I don't think there is a way to avoid talking with
> the public at a FAD, we should be welcoming them.  The key here is
> management of people and getting them where they want to be quickly
> and efficiently.  Thus, I am suggesting that any FAD held alongside a
> larger event *must* have defined people and goals.
>
> I hope this feedback helps overall.  Karsten and I have talked at
> length about much of this and we've continually been working on the
> 'How to organize a FAD'[1] page on the wiki.  I think that's the best
> place to continue to focus our efforts and improve the FAD experience.

Excellent comments Clint -- maybe you could work another blog post out
of the two points you just made more clearly than I could have! ;-)