[Ambassadors] Fedora Certificate Projects

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Mon May 11 05:01:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

--- On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Abhradip Mukherjee
<abhradipmukherjee at gmail.com> wrote:
| Here in India (West Bengal) we have a strong
| base. There are several students ready to jump into development fields. They
| want to contribute and work for fedoraproject and GNU/Linux development at
| large.
\--

Point noted ... (1)

---
| I am thinking of starting a  fedora project to start certification
| projects for such students.
\--

So, if (1) already exists why do we need certification?

The problem with certification is that it is sometimes projected
differently that people join in _just_ for the certification, and not
that they love Free/Open Source Software, and end up demanding
questions like:

"I am certified, but, where can I now get a job?"

In this process, people fail to understand FOSS development models,
iterative learning processes, curiosity and need to experiment, learn,
community participation et. al.

While this might bring lot of certified people in a short-term, it
doesn't help in catering to the individual in the long run.

One needs to give the true picture of community participation,
Free/Open Source development, than have short *marketing offers*.

Just my thoughts,

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan