[Ambassadors] Fedora Certificate Projects

Mon May 11 07:00:53 UTC 2009

[Caveat: I read through the responses on this thread before writing this mail]

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Abhradip Mukherjee
<abhradipmukherjee at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is Abhradip Mukherjee. Here in India (West Bengal) we have a strong
> base. There are several students ready to jump into development fields. They
> want to contribute and work for fedoraproject and GNU/Linux development at
> large. I am thinking of starting a  fedora project to start certification
> projects for such students. That will boost the movement a lot and will
> encourage potential students to not only use free software but also develop
> it.

If there are several students about whom you are aware about
contributing as a developer, an approach that introduces them
step-wise to all the factoids they would need to learn before doing so
would be optimal. And, to begin with, they should be at least on
fedora-india mailing list so that they can feel free to ask questions
smartly. Instead of thinking of starting a project to "certify" the
interested participants, it would perhaps be a good idea to look at :
<http://kushaldas.in/tmp/summer_training-small.png> And, as always,
there is #fedora-india for them to land up and get initial
hand-holding/coaching.

The way I read your mail, you are talking about two specific points :
[1] getting students to contribute and participate [2] assessing the
feasibility of obtaining for them a "certificate" which would be
accepted and relevant in their academic life. I'd suggest that we
focus a bit more on [1] first so that we have good participants.

Sent from Pune, MH, India