[Ambassadors] Re: Replies to Certification Projects

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:23:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

--- On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Abhradip Mukherjee
<abhradipmukherjee at gmail.com> wrote:
| Because when they get to know that for doing the development they wont get
| any money / any certificate,
\--

So, that is what they want, not knowledge, or freedom of source code?

---
| the best brains ( the ones who can easily get
| money for their work from other offtime jobs) and the competent  students
| (who can easily do a project in some institutions by paying some money and
| can get a certificate) goes away.
\--

But, they are only cheating themselves, by paying money and getting a
certificate. They still will be incompetent at work, and will sit in
the bench just getting a salary, and will get laid off when an
economic crunch happens. Yes, it did happen.

---
| The ones who understands the true meaning
| of FOSS at that moment of time stays with us.
\--

... irrespective of money, job, certificate.

---
| But I can guarantee if those
| other guys have joined us then, someday later they would have also become
| FOSS followers as through the activities of the movement we would have
| successfully conveyed the message to them.
\--

Not quite true. Those who want to work on FOSS, will continue to work
on FOSS, irrespective of whether they get money, job, or certifcate or
what not, because they do it for a reason that they love working with
passion, and not in need of what you have mentioned.

---
| But wont go for something which is cheap and gives nothing in return except
| listing on websites.
\--

There is more to it:
* Building ones' network (social).
* Knowledge.
* Recognition.
... and these lead to jobs automatically.

---
| What will they have in hand to show their mother, who
| might not know anything about websites and therefore does not understand the
| importance. (She would have been more happy to see her son's face on a
| not-so-famous local newspaper, simply because then she would have had
| something to take in hand, go to her neighbor and show off).
\--

You can show photos taken from participation in installfest, hackfest
events. Most students own cameras, and phones with digital cameras.

You can also take a printout of a website.

---
| What will they
| show to an employer who wont agree to go up and check on the website whether
| the student sitting in front has a listing on the website or not. He would
| pick the next guy who has a well known certification in hand.
\--

Too generic a statement. There are big MNCs as well as FOSS-based
startups in India who hire people. Check http://fossjobs.wordpress.com
for a start.

---
| As I mentioned, we wont take anybody in, _just_ for the certification.
\--

Sorry mate, you can't make or guarantee that judgement :)

---
| It
| will be like if you understand FOSS ideologies well, and if you are willing
| to learn through projects we will give you an opportunity to work and get
| certificate of appreciation upon quality contribution.
\--

... and such people, IMO, will do things irrespective of whether you
give the certificate or not.

---
| "I am certified, but, where can I now get a job?"
|
| Have you ever heard somebody asking the same question to any
training institutions who give away random certifications to any
| guy with a fat wallet?
\--

Such people are being cheated. People who get certificates with a fat
wallet are cheating themselves too. Just because others are committing
suicide, doesn't mean we should too.

There are no shortcuts in life.

SK

--