[Ambassadors] Help me: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Christos Bacharakis cmpahar at gmail.com
Tue May 26 02:00:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:29 AM, Truong Anh. Tuan <tuanta at iwayvietnam.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Most of People in our community are crazy with Ubuntu.
> I know Fedora is much better and I am thinking about a campaign to change
> their mind.
>
> First of all, I would like to write a full list of advantages in Fedora
> against Ubuntu (in our language, Vietnamese, of course).
> Could you please help me some good sources and ideas (both for the
> advantage list and the full process to change their mind).
>
> Kind regards,
> Tuan

The first argument that I come up with is that many Ubuntu sub-projects are
not upstream. For example if an Ubuntu translator, translate a gnome string,
Launchpad will not upstream the string to Gnome translations so the other
distributions won't have that string translated.
An another thing is that Ubuntu uses many tools like Launchpad which are
closed source. Hey, we are a FOSS community over here.

A personal argument is that Ubuntu is trying to be more like Windows and
less than a typical Linux distribution. Evolution is good, but don't try to
be more like your enemy for wining more fans. It's not right!

I am a little bit tired so I can't think anything else right now. Hope to
helped you. Good luck.

--
Christos Bacharakis
cmpahar at gmail.com