[Ambassadors] Equipment Purchase - Possible Conflict of Interest

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 16 16:39:47 UTC 2009

> We were not able to get the services of a CD/DVD replicator because of time
> and cost constraints. The genius in me decided to produce the LiveCDs/DVDs
> on our own so we can have them ready before the event. The blanks were quite
> inexpensive and we're left with some surplus on the original item budget -
> around Php 3500 [2]. The production line consists of my personal DVD-writer
> and my brother who volunteered.
> Looking at the blanks, I figured sticker labels will make them better
> looking (though still not as professional as the ones made by replicating
> services) and that we could also use some flyers/brochures/signages. We
> actually have two options - (1) to get a printer do them for us or (2) to
> do-it-on-our-own-way.
> For some stroke of luck, I don't own a printer and I'm a little bit
> squeamish using our office printer for something like this. If a decision
> for a printer purchase is reached for this event, I'll be its custodian
> until someone can take over for me. This is an obvious conflict of interest
> on my part so I posed the question to Paul (as Fedora Project Leader) and
> ultimately to this list.
>
> To add to the first question - has anybody been on the same situation I'm
> now in? Any advice?

The brazilian guys have bought a CD/DVD burner (no idea how you call
it, it's a machine that can burn automatically thousands of CDs/DVDs
and even print the nice graphics on the top face).

So I'd say, yes, we're allowed, and yes, someone has already done it :)

But Rodrigo might provide better input on this.