[Ambassadors] Equipment Purchase - Possible Conflict of Interest

Heherson Pagcaliwagan herson at azneita.org
Wed Sep 16 16:56:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:41 AM, David Nalley <david at gnsa.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Heherson Pagcaliwagan
> <herson at azneita.org> wrote:
> > I just threw Paul Frields a curve ball earlier this evening and he wisely
> > pointed me to ask the list so everybody can refer to it back later. My
> > question is (more or less) like this, "Are we allowed to spend a portion
> of
> > our event budget on equipment?" I'm thinking to get our local group a
> cheap
> > inkjet printer to handle our desktop printing needs like sticker
> > labels/brochures/flyers/signages for an upcoming event - SFD2009[1].
> >
> > Now what prompted me to pop the question?
> >
> > We were not able to get the services of a CD/DVD replicator because of
> time
> > and cost constraints. The genius in me decided to produce the
> LiveCDs/DVDs
> > on our own so we can have them ready before the event. The blanks were
> quite
> > inexpensive and we're left with some surplus on the original item budget
> -
> > around Php 3500 [2]. The production line consists of my personal
> DVD-writer
> > and my brother who volunteered.
> > Looking at the blanks, I figured sticker labels will make them better
> > looking (though still not as professional as the ones made by replicating
> > services) and that we could also use some flyers/brochures/signages. We
> > actually have two options - (1) to get a printer do them for us or (2) to
> > do-it-on-our-own-way.
> > For some stroke of luck, I don't own a printer and I'm a little bit
> > squeamish using our office printer for something like this. If a decision
> > for a printer purchase is reached for this event, I'll be its custodian
> > until someone can take over for me. This is an obvious conflict of
> interest
> > on my part so I posed the question to Paul (as Fedora Project Leader) and
> > ultimately to this list.
> >
> > To add to the first question - has anybody been on the same situation I'm
> > now in? Any advice?
> >
> > [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/SFD2009
> > [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/SFD2009#Event_Dashboard
> >
> > --
> > Heherson Pagcaliwagan
> > http://project.azneita.org
> > +63.908.885.5428
> >
> > --
> >

> We've funded media duplication hardware previously for LATAM.
> I am a bit squeamish about inkjet printers, they tend to have a very
> high consumables cost in the long term. I'd personally feel more
> comfortable with a color laser printer, that's likely 2 or 3 times the
> cost of an inkjet but provides better quality and better costs savings
> long term.

Agree on all points. However, that would be a better project after the
event.

> What kind of volume do you anticipate pushing through this unit?? How
> man CDs, stickers, etc? How large of an area are you willing to supply
> stickers/media/etc for?

As you mentioned above, I won't get too far with the unit. I just want to
use it for local events and such. If you're thinking along the lines of
LiveCD/DVD mass production for regional distribution, you're way ahead of
where I am at right now. I'll prefer using professional services for that
much :D

> Write up a bit more detail including some of those things so that we
> can better weigh it, though I don't have much of an objection in
> principle.

Heherson Pagcaliwagan
http://project.azneita.org
+63.908.885.5428