[Ambassadors] Equipment Purchase - Possible Conflict of Interest

Heherson Pagcaliwagan herson at azneita.org
Wed Sep 16 16:33:47 UTC 2009

I just threw Paul Frields a curve ball earlier this evening and he wisely
pointed me to ask the list so everybody can refer to it back later. My
question is (more or less) like this, "Are we allowed to spend a portion of
our event budget on equipment?" I'm thinking to get our local group a cheap
inkjet printer to handle our desktop printing needs like sticker
labels/brochures/flyers/signages for an upcoming event - SFD2009[1].

Now what prompted me to pop the question?

   - We were not able to get the services of a CD/DVD replicator because of
   time and cost constraints. The genius in me decided to produce the
   LiveCDs/DVDs on our own so we can have them ready before the event. The
   blanks were quite inexpensive and we're left with some surplus on the
   original item budget - around Php 3500 [2]. The production line consists of
   my personal DVD-writer and my brother who volunteered.
   - Looking at the blanks, I figured sticker labels will make them better
   looking (though still not as professional as the ones made by replicating
   services) and that we could also use some flyers/brochures/signages. We
   actually have two options - (1) to get a printer do them for us or (2) to
   do-it-on-our-own-way.
   - For some stroke of luck, I don't own a printer and I'm a little bit
   squeamish using our office printer for something like this. If a decision
   for a printer purchase is reached for this event, I'll be its custodian
   until someone can take over for me. This is an obvious conflict of interest
   on my part so I posed the question to Paul (as Fedora Project Leader) and
   ultimately to this list.

To add to the first question - has anybody been on the same situation I'm
now in? Any advice?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/SFD2009
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/SFD2009#Event_Dashboard

--