[Ambassadors] Equipment Purchase - Possible Conflict of Interest

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 17:21:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Heherson Pagcaliwagan wrote:

> question is (more or less) like this, "Are we allowed to spend a
> portion of our event budget on equipment?" I'm thinking to get our
> local group a cheap inkjet printer to handle our desktop printing
> needs like sticker labels/brochures/flyers/signages for an upcoming
> event - SFD2009[1].

As people have already pointed out, we have a precedent for spending
event budget on equipment when necessary, especially if that equipment
will be re-usable at other events (like the duplicator we bought for
LATAM).

As long as people are being transparent, and checking when they have
questions (like you did), I see no problem with it.

In the specific case, given that your event is (a) next week and (b) the
event budget really wasn't very much, I see no problem with doing what
needs to be done in order for you to make your event successful.

I think you deserve a ton of credit for bringing the question up,
because it shows that you are a thoughtful and considerate guy.

Many thanks,
Max