[Ambassadors] fedora twitter account inactive?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 22:06:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 04:43:42PM -0500, Juan M. Rodriguez wrote:
>    On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:36 PM, David Nalley wrote:
>
>      On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Ian Weller
>      wrote:
>      > On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:05:50PM +0800, Yuan Yijun wrote:
>      >> You will not believe how easily a twitter account get suspended. They
>      >> suspended mine without a reason, and no response to support tickets
>      so
>      >> far.
>      > How is that relevant?
>      >
>      >> Since every fedora people has an account on [3]http://identi.ca or
>      >> [4]status.net (AGPL) why bother using twitter?
>      >>
>      > Because it's about marketing. We happen to market to people who aren't
>      > yet interested in free software as those who are. We want to get new
>      > users and more importantly more ambassadors and contributors. To do
>      > that, you need to cover all the angles.
>      >

>      But aren't we supposed to do everything using only F/LOSS??
>      --
>
>    I'm a microblogging fan, and moved from Twitter to Identi.ca exclusively a
>    month or two ago, but I agree that crossposting would be helpful for
>    marketting reasons.
>
>    There are plenty of Fedora users that use Twitter, and I think we
>    shouldn't stay away from sites like Youtube when making videos to help get
>    the message to more people.
>
>    Just my 2 cents.

I have to agree.  It would be nice if we could market effectively
using only FLOSS tools talking to AGPL services.  But the vast
majority of people out there waiting to be freed don't use free
services.  I think we can do best in marketing by spreading word on
those services, and once we have people's attention, showing them the
equal or superior solutions found in FLOSSdom.

There's nothing wrong with preaching to the choir per se, but it's not
an effective method of spreading Fedora in new directions.