[Ambassadors] Issues on Documentation.

Satyajit Ranjeev satyajit at nerdshack.com
Tue Sep 22 14:18:26 UTC 2009

Hi all,

	I picked up a Macbook Pro a few weeks ago. I had been using a compaq
laptop for about three years and have been using fedora from the
moment I bought it. So I had fairly become comfortable with the system
and installation did not seem to be a problem at all. Every thing
seemed to be fine. But now with the latest hardware, there seems to be
so much of problem.

	Its been two and a half weeks since I bought the laptop. I have tried
installing the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Fedora 11 and the same on
Fedora 12. Updated each time and got the nvidia drivers detected and
the touchpad worked. But all these times I just could not decrease the
brightness. And the brightness was set so high that if I worked for
more than ten minutes I would end up with a head ache. I spent half my
time googling and looking for answers in forums.

	I decided to try ubuntu. And their documentation was simply brilliant
and organized. I managed to get almost every thing working following
their instructions. Here is the link , have a look at it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

	At the same time I went through our web site on Macbooks : http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraOnMactel
It is so much outdated.

	I still have not figured it out and Im jumping around from Mac and
Ubuntu. I use Fedora a lot and am pretty comfortable with it. Imagine
the newbies and shifts from other distributions. I do know Ubuntu has
a big user base, but ours is growing. We don't have an official forum.
The fedora forums is a great place, and they are doing a brilliant
job, but is still not the official forum.

	I do realize that the documentation group is doing a lot of work. But
is there a simple method where a normal person can feed his thoughts
and then the documentation people can put it into the docs because
many are not that keen in joining the Fedora Docs project but would
like to share their knowledge.

	The best place for me to start would be to join the docs project and
help in any possible way I can. But is there something more I could
do? And Is there a way that where we could have users submit their
installation steps and solved problems so that it would be a
repository for others.

Regards,

Satyajit