Another slip in the FC6 schedule

Jesse Keating jkeating at
Wed Oct 18 00:07:29 UTC 2006

On Monday 16 October 2006 17:26, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Over the weekend we ran into a few more bugs with Fedora Core 6 that we
> decided were important enough to fix.  There were some multilib compose
> issues (wrong packages landing in the wrong dirs), some translation files
> that would cause tracebacks in things like anaconda (whoops), and a
> fedora-release package that forgot to enable updates (double whoops).  For
> these reasons and a few others, we decided to respin the release candidate
> tree and push the release date out another couple of days.
> The current plan is to spin a release candidate this evening with some last
> minute fixes, and start the sync.  Validation has gone very well up to this
> point and baring any blow ups in the spin process, the release looks very
> solid.  We're planning to release on Thursday Oct 19th.  This should give
> the mirrors enough days to sync up.  If things blow up horribly and we have
> to spin again tomorrow, depending on what time we have to respin we may
> slip until next week, as releasing on Fridays or Mondays gets you the wrath
> of the mirror admins (:
> I want to thank you all for playing along and helping us to make FC6 the
> best release yet!

Hi, its me again, remember me?  I was the guy who told you we would probably 
release on Thursday of this week.  Yeah, about that...

Bugs suck.  More bugs suck more.  I'd rather go DOWN in bug count with the 
trees we spin than up, so after some regressions popped up, we're going to 
respin again and push the release out until next Tuesday, the 24th.  This 
will ensure we finish playing whack-a-mole with the tree and we give the 
mirrors a fighting chance at getting synced up before we open the flood 

In the interest of full disclosure (like you couldn't read rawhide report from 
tomorrow...) the following bugs popped up / were noticed / were introduced / 
were fixed due to extra time / and have been fixed (hopefully) with the tree 
I'm spinning, and rawhide that will land tomorrow.

211097: latest rawhide kernel broke xenguest-install / virt-manager
211117: Anaconda traceback + forced reboot when file temporarily unavailable
211118: Unable to connect to xend with xen Dom0 kernel and xend running
209945: s-c-firewall creates unusable default for ipv6
203570: Starting X brings up a blank screen (for mga)
<nobug>: coolkey package %post errors
<nobug>: classpathx-mail multilib conflicts
<nobug>: fedora-release-notes css not optimal for some non-english languages
<nobug>: broken deps on x86_64 and ppc(64)

So, provided that we don't introduce any NEW bugs while fixing THOSE bugs, the 
tree should be golden as of tonight.  We'll begin syncing once we've finished 
smoke testing the tree tomorrow (you can help too on rawhide!).  There will 
also be a fair number of "0 day" updates for FC6, due to the amount of time 
that we've been frozen and not taking any updates.  Many of these will go 
into updates-testing first, and some testing on those would be good, since 
they saw 0 rawhide time.

That is all, I now return you to your regularly scheduled mortgage and lottery 

Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <>

More information about the fedora-announce-list mailing list