Fedora Weekly News Issue 110

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 19 08:52:57 UTC 2007

= Fedora Weekly News Issue 110 =

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 110 for the week of November 12th.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue110

In Announcements, we have "Fedora Unity releases Fedora 8 Everything Spin".

In AskFedora, we have "GIMP 2.4.1 and Fedora 7", "Automatic Security Updates".

In PlanetFedora, we  have "Seam running under IcedTea on Fedora 8",
"Fedora 8 on a MacBook (intel)", "Custom Kernel documentation updated"
and  "First Torrent Movie".

To celebrate Thanksgiving Day[1], Fedora News Team will take the next
week off. Have a Safe Holiday!

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

To join or give us your feedback, please visit
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join.
   1. Announcements
         1. Fedora Unity releases Fedora 8 Everything Spin
   2. Ask Fedora
         1. GIMP 2.4.1 and Fedora 7
         2. Automatic Security Updates
   3. Planet Fedora
         1. Seam running under IcedTea on Fedora 8
         2. Fedora 8 on a MacBook (intel)
         3. Custom Kernel documentation updated
         4. First Torrent Movie
   4. Marketing
         1. cio.com: The Fedora OS: Free, Stable and Customizable
         2. redhatmagazine.com: Tour of GNOME Online Desktop
         3. linuxtoday.com: Spinning a New Kind of Distro
         4. coffeedaze.com: Fedora/Linux for Noobs
         5. arstechnica.com: Fedora 8 sees strong adoption in first week
         6. distrowatch.com: Distrowatch reviews Fedora 8
         7. softpedia.com: Installing Fedora 8 Werewolf
   5. Developments
         1. As Review Request Queue Lengthens Tempers Shorten
         2. NetworkManager Making Fedora 8 Hostile To Sysadmins ?
         3. Minimal Requires: Codename "Masochist"
         4. Gecko-libs Now Provided By Xulrunner-devel
         5. Autoloading Of Kmods In Udev Area
         6. /tftpboot Versus /var/tftp Or Somewhere Else
         7. Buildserver Kernel Release (PPC64)
         8. Extension Buddy For Fedora 9 ?
         9. PulseAudio CPU Usage
        10. Old Libtool Problems Reported By Check-rpaths
   6. Artwork
         1. Naming of Fedora 9?
         2. Fedora 9 Theming?
         3. Rounded Corners Patch for Nodoka
         4. Spring and Autumn On Your Desktop
         5. Infinity 24 for KDE
   7. Security Week
         1. Samba
         2. AppArmor's Security Goals
         3. Hushmail not so hush
   8. Advisories and Updates
         1. Fedora 8 Security Advisories
         2. Fedora 7 Security Advisories
         3. Fedora Core 6 Security Advisories
   9. Events and Meetings
         1. Fedora Board Meeting Minutes 2007-MM-DD
         2. Fedora Ambassadors Meeting 2007-MM-DD
         3. Fedora Documentation Steering Committee (Log) 2007-MM-DD
         4. Fedora Engineering Steering Committee Meeting 2007-11-15
         5. Fedora Infrastructure Meeting (Log) 2007-11-15
         6. Fedora Localization Meeting 2007-MM-DD
         7. Fedora Marketing Meeting 2007-MM-DD
         8. Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting 2007-MM-DD
         9. Fedora Quality Assurance Meeting 2007-11-14
        10. Fedora Release Engineering Meeting 2007-11-12
        11. Fedora SIG EPEL Meeting Week 45
        12. Fedora SIG KDE Meeting Week 46
        13. Fedora SIG Store Meeting 2007-11-14

[[Anchor(Announcements)]]
== Announcements ==

In this section, we cover announcements from Fedora Project.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Fedora Unity releases Fedora 8 Everything Spin ===

JeroenVanMeeuwen announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

"The Fedora Unity Project is proud to announce the release of new
spin[2], the Everything Spin. Included in this spin are all the
packages available at the time Fedora 8 was released."

"This spin also includes 3 DVD images for each architecture, as well
as 2 DVD Dual Layer images for those who are able to use them."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-November/msg00013.html

[2] http://spins.fedoraunity.org/

[[Anchor(AskFedora)]]
== Ask Fedora ==

In this section, we answer general questions from Fedora community.
Send your questions to askfedora AT fedoraproject.org and Fedora News
Team will bring you answers from the Fedora Developers and
Contributors to selected number of questions every week as part of our
weekly news report. Please indicate if you do not wish your name
and/or email address to be published.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AskFedora

Contributing Writer:  NilsPhilippsen, RahulSundaram

=== GIMP 2.4.1 and Fedora 7 ===

''Hasson Ofer <hassonofer AT gmail.com> : Will you make official gimp
2.4.1 package to fedora 7 ?''

I've requested the push:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F7/pending/gimp-2.4.1-1.fc7

These are the update notes as of now:

This update is a major version change. Please test thoroughly. Don't
flag it as working unless you have done really extensive testing! I
don't want to push this to stable too soon.

For new features and other changes, please read the release notes of
GIMP 2.4 on the web: http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.4.html

GIMP 2.4 is supposed to be compatible to older GIMP 2.x versions as far
as plug-ins are concerned. It also uses the TinyScheme interpreter now
for Script-Fu scripts which is a bit less forgiving about certain
programming errors. If you use custom Script-Fu scripts, you might have
to fix them to work in GIMP 2.4. Read the Script-Fu Migration Guide on
the web for further information:
http://www.gimp.org/docs/script-fu-update.html

-- NilsPhilippsen

=== Automatic Security Updates ===

''Jenni and Adri <jattas AT supernerd.com.au> :
I am a new user of Fedora and notice the regular updates. Some of them
are huge. I have a 1 Gb monthly down and upload allowance and after
that my ISP slows the speed of my internet service down. I used to let
the updates download regardless, but I discovered that the size was
that large that I nearly lost all capacity in the first 5 or 6 days of
the month.

My question is: Is it possible to indicate the size of the automatic
down loads so that I know how large the down loads are, so that I can
do these down loads when it is the end of the service month?''

While the software updater (Pup) does not show the size of the
updates, there are two nifty yum plugins that can save you the hassle
of keeping track of package sizes. The first is a plugin called
'''yum-security''' that shows only the security updates and the second
is a plugin called '''yum-presto''' [1] that downloads only the binary
diff's on software updates instead of a full new package and can save
you quite a lot of bandwidth and time. Use a combination of both and
you don't have to worry about running out of bandwidth.

[1] http://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto

[[Anchor(PlanetFedora)]]
== Planet Fedora ==

In this section, we cover a highlight of Planet Fedora - an
aggregation of blogs from world wide Fedora contributors.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet

Contributing Writers: ThomasChung

=== Seam running under IcedTea on Fedora 8 ===

KarstenWade points out in his blog[1]

"Best thing about his adventure? Pete ran a "highly unscientific test"
and found out that IcedTea outperformed other JDKs"

[1] http://iquaid.org/2007/11/18/seam-running-under-icedtea-on-fedora-8/

=== Fedora 8 on a MacBook (intel) ===

KonstantinRyabitsev points out in his blog[1]

"It works quite well, including brightness buttons and the "fn" key. I
upgraded from Fedora 7, so I can't comment on whether the installation
has improved -- perhaps I'll try it again later."

=== Custom Kernel documentation updated ===

SamFolkWilliams points out in his blog[1],

"As several people have noticed, there were quite a few changes to the
kernel spec file with the release of Fedora 8. The custom kernel
document has now been updated to reflect these changes."

[1] http://samfw.blogspot.com/2007/11/custom-kernel-documentation-updated.html

[1] http://mricon.livejournal.com/386456.html

=== First Torrent Movie ===

JefSpaleta points out in his blog[1],

"As promised, I've started making animations of some of the torrent
activity for the Fedora 8 torrents. And instead of using youtube, I'm
now uploading the final videos to archive.org so you can get access to
the original theora files."

[1] http://jspaleta.livejournal.com/15989.html

[[Anchor(Marketing)]]
== Marketing ==

In this section, we cover Fedora Marketing Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== cio.com: The Fedora OS: Free, Stable and Customizable ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"The Fedora Project builds a world-class Linux operating system,
consisting of entirely free (meaning both zero-cost and full source
code available) software, that is used by companies, organizations and
individuals worldwide."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-November/msg00249.html

=== redhatmagazine.com: Tour of GNOME Online Desktop ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"Here's a tour of the pre-alpha demo release of GNOME Online Desktop
included in Fedora 8. Learn more about what it does and how you can
get involved in the project."

[1] http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/13/tour-of-gnome-online-desktop/

=== linuxtoday.com: Spinning a New Kind of Distro ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"While talking with Fedora Project Leader MaxSpevack yesterday, I
increasingly got the sense that Fedora is positioning itself for
something bigger. The key, I believe, is the spin management
technology that was implemented in Fedora 7 and has now come to
maturity in Fedora 8."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-November/msg00198.html

=== coffeedaze.com: Fedora/Linux for Noobs ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"While Fedora may not be the best starting point for someone with
minimal computer knowledge, it is one of the most cutting edge flavors
of Linux and has some amazing support"

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-November/msg00167.html

=== arstechnica.com: Fedora 8 sees strong adoption in first week ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"The latest version of Fedora—codenamed Werewolf—was released last
week. According to statistics released this morning by Red Hat, Fedora
8 has been already been installed over 54,000 times in only four
days."

[1] http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/11/12/fedora-8-sees-strong-adoption-in-first-week

=== distrowatch.com: Distrowatch reviews Fedora 8 ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"Overall, I truly believe that Fedora 8 is by far the best Fedora
release to date (and I've tried every one of them). From the look and
feel of the system, to the out-of-the-box configuration during
installation, I couldn't be happier with a cutting edge release."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-November/msg00134.html

=== softpedia.com: Installing Fedora 8 Werewolf ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"Fedora 8 (codename Werewolf) was released yesterday and it's the most
breathtaking version of the Fedora operating system. Not only does
this release bring an installable LiveCD for both i686 and x86_64
architectures, but it also comes with exclusive KDE and GNOME
LiveCDs."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-November/msg00132.html

[[Anchor(Developments)]]

== Developments ==

In this section, we cover the problems/solutions, people/personalities, and
ups/downs of the endless discussions on Fedora Developments.

Contributing Writer: OisinFeeley

=== As Review Request Queue Lengthens Tempers Shorten ===

NealBecker wondered[1] if he had done something wrong resulting in no
one responding to his package review request.  MamoruTasaka asked[2]
for patience as there were about 270 unassigned review requests.
JasonTibbitts thought[3] that the number was closer to 830 due to
merge reviews and counselled "if the people who are submitting the
packages don't do some reviews themselves, or we don't magically
acquire several more review nuts then it's just going to be a long
wait for every package in the queue." ThorstenLeemhuis topped[4] this
with an estimate of 1108 open reviews and re-opened the discussion of
how the governance of the Fedora Project is working.  He cited an
older email he had written which asserted that the levels of
disgruntlement due to bureaucracy was rising.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01059.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01063.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01107.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01125.html

ChristopherAillon agreed[5] with Thorsten, thanked him for his
well-written email and suggested a webapp which would automate the
testing of basic review tasks might ease some of the backlog. Thorsten
agreed[6] with Christopher that accumulating guidelines would lead to
a bogging down of the review process and suggested[6] that they be
split into essential base knowledge "this you must know" and written
reference material to provide "guidance in a specific area".  Thorsten
was unsure if a webapp was necessary and noted packagers (perhaps
little-known) ability to do scratch builds in Koji (see also this same
FWN#110 "Buildserver Kernel Release (PPC64)" for JesseKeating's
suggested commandline to do this.) ToshioKuratomi took up[7]
Thorsten's suggestion to organize and split the review guidelines.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01126.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01150.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01158.html

The numbers cited by Thorsten were questioned[8] by PatriceDumas, who
suggested that the processing of new packages was a more important
metric than the merged packages.  Patrice was unhappy with the lagging
of wiki documentation and the lack of new sponsors. Thorsten
disagreed, suggesting that it would take until Fedora 12 at the
current rate to get the merged packages reviewed.  He also
suggested[9] that experienced packagers should have direct CVS commit
access to enable them to quickly fix up obvious specfile errors
without having to go through the current process to clear such actions
with the package owners.

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01129.html

[9] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01157.html

HansdeGoede agreed[10] with Thorsten that in the pre-merge days he had
felt more control over what FESCo did and added that now "certain
groups within Fedora (*cough* release engineering *cough*) are
indepent islands, not that these groups are not doing great work, but
they don't seem controlled in any democratic way." He announced his
intention to join the Fedora Packaging Committee (FPC). JoshBoyer
asked whether he could identify and provide solutions to specific
problems and Hans replied[11] briefly and finished with a statement of
his belief that there was little point in such a discussion.
JesseKeating described[12] himself as feeling "blindsided" by this and
listed the places where changes had been discussed and required
ratification by voting. Hans reiterated some of what he had already
said and Thorsten provided[12] some specific links which contrasted
feedback received with actual changes in the wiki (and hence policy).

[10] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01130.html

[11] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01145.html

[12] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01155.html

[13] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01165.html

A detailed email from JesseKeating responded[14] to Thorsten
specifically with details of which bits of feedback had been
incorporated, responded more generally to what Jesse characterized as
"the crux of Hans' complaint [being] that there is [a] freeze at all"
and explained Jesse's motivation as trying to have a slow-down of
changes introduced to the release tree while still also providing
places for builds to be tested. Hans disagreed[15] and stated his
complaint as the absence of a fast, non-human way of getting packages
past the penultimate freeze. MatthiasClasen could not agree[16] with
Hans that the process was unwarranted, nor could Jesse, who further
argued[17] that a build is supposed to have been tested before it is
requested.

[14] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01174.html

[15] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01176.html

[16] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01187.html

[17] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01193.html

A response from RalfCorsepius to Thorsten about the role of the FPC
argued[18] that FPC had solved most of the problems apart from exotic
corner cases and had thus lost its importance. Ralf also listed the
use of ACLs and general policies as contributory causes to robbing FPC
of the ability to enforce its decisions on packagers, whom Ralf argued
were ignoring them.  Thorsten responded[19] with an explanation of his
desire to do away with the current committee-bound lethargy and
replace it with a meritocracy in which anyone can announce plans and
implement them if there are no strenuous objections. He also
remembered some problems he had raised earlier on @fedora-packaging. A
detailed response from TomCallaway raised[20] the spectre of
revert-wars on an open wiki and noted that the documented process was
hardly ever followed to propose new guidelines.

[18] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01229.html

[19] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01281.html

[20] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01411.html

TO BE CONTINUED...

=== NetworkManager Making Fedora 8 Hostile To Sysadmins ? ===

High blood pressure was experienced[1] by OlivierGalibert when he used
the Desktop LiveCD to attempt an install of Fedora 8 to a machine with
a static IP address. Olivier traced the problem back to Fedora Core 3
(providing a bugzilla entry to back this up) noting that
NetworkManager ignores interface settings entered into anaconda and
wipes out /etc/resolv.conf if DHCP is not used.  To Olivier the
problems had deepened with Fedora 8 as it seemed harder to actually
remove NetworkManager.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01259.html

One of the primary complaints raised by Olivier was addressed[2] by
BastienNocera when he contradicted Olivier's assertion that
''chkconfig'' could not be used to disable NetworkManager. Bastien
also thought that using the LiveCD to install servers was not its
intended use case. JefSpaleta followed[3] up on the latter point with
the information that the DVD image does not suffer from the problem of
static routes entered into anaconda ignored.  Jef also reminded the
list that no one had argued that the use case of the LiveCD should be
designed differently during the test cycle.  While Jef thought that it
was possibly a useful idea to produce an alternate LiveCD using the
legacy stack instead of NetworkManager he suggested that due to the
expected improvements in NetworkManager this point would be obviated
by the time of Fedora 9.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01263.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01318.html

In a slight aside, the issue of the cyclic dependency of ''ldap'' and
''NetworkManager'' services upon each other dependencies was addressed
when KellyMiller described the problem and RalfEtzinger supplied a
useful ''ldap.conf'' stanza to ignore local users:
''nss_initgroups_ignoreusers root,ldap,named,avahi,haldaemon,dbus''.
ColinWalters agreed[4] that this should become the default option.

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01467.html

LesMikesell had heard that it was no longer possible to do an NFS
install with the DVD iso image, but ToddZullinger confirmed[5] that it
still worked and added that if one wanted to download one single copy
and install several machines from the image then there were multiple
ways to accomplish the task using ''kickstart'', ''pxeboot'',
''cobbler'' and combinations of them.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01300.html

Another part of Olivier's list of problems was sorted out[6] by
JefSpaleta when he countered the suggestion that it was impossible to
turn NetworkManager off without removing its rpm. Jef described
himself as "sort of confused" by these statements and queried whether
Olivier could not simply query the status of NetworkManager using
''/sbin/service NetworkManager status'' and its default runlevels with
''/sbin/chkconfig --list NetworkManager''.  He suggested simply
turning off NetworkManager using its initscript and turning on the
legacy network and suggested that using mac addressing with dhcp
worked well in large laboratory environments. Olivier's blood pressure
dropped a little when he realized[7] that he must have been mistaken
about it not being possible to turn off NetworkManager using the usual
tools.  He reiterated the point that options set in the installer
should not be ignored and partially destroyed and suggested that at
the least a dialog box should inform sysadmin performing the install
that this was the case. JeremyKatz agreed[8] that "this sucks" and
explained that changes to make NetworkManager better in this regard
had not made it into Fedora 8 due to the need to freeze development
for translations.

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01270.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01291.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01292.html

Subsidiary interesting discussions during the thread mainly focused on
the use of dhcp servers to provide a central point of administration,
with contributions from AlexanderBoström[9], "Jima" and
NicolasMailhot[10] in favor and LesMikesell[11] and OlivierGalibert as
slight skeptics.

[9] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01374.html

[10] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01305.html

[11] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01299.html

Another of Olivier's objections was explored when JohnPoelstra
concurred[12] that removal of NetworkManager should not also remove
several other packages as dependencies including ''pidgin'' and
''liferea''.  JesseKeating responded[13] that this was because those
packages used NetworkManager-glib in order to be able to "do the right
thing" in response to network changes. ChristopherStone suggested[14]
splitting out this functionality into a sub-package and argued that
such splitting in general would make Fedora more useful as a base
distribution. BillNottingham thought[15] on the contrary that this was
a lot of work for a circa 100KB library dependency.

[12] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01275.html

[13] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01277.html

[14] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01283.html

[15] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01290.html

RichiPlana, DanWilliams and MatthiasClasen investigated[16] the
possibility of splittling ''libnm-util.so'' off into a sub-package so
that the aforementioned ''NetworkManager-glib'' could also be an
independent package.

[16] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01348.html

=== Minimal Requires: Codename "Masochist" ===

A quest to discover the minimal packages to install for a user using a
chroot led PatriceDumas to ask[1] some searching questions about the
dependency chains for the mandatory minimal packages. When
JesseKeating asked why he did not just use the core comps group with
{{{yum --install-root=/path/to/chroot groupinstall 'Core'}}} Patrice
clarified[2] that this was possibly too large and he wanted a more
fine-grained ability to select the most minimal set of packages.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01076.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01088.html

TomCallaway proposed[3] that Patrice could carry out a test using a
chroot to determine the smallest set of packages that could provide a
working network, shell and text editor and suggested that this new
comps group could be codenamed "masochist". When JeremyKatz thought
that this description was exactly what the Core group in comps was
intended to be, TomCallaway suggested[4] that perhaps Patrice meant to
use "absurd replacements" such as ''tinylibc'', ''minit'' and
''nash'', but Patrice disavowed[5] this notion and honed[6] his
question down to whether a non-bootable, chrooted minimal install
would be a good idea.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01090.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01093.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01095.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01098.html

Later Patrice went[7] ahead with some tests and shared the information
that it seemed that a rather long list of packages were installed even
when he tried to pair things down.

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01182.html

=== Gecko-libs Now Provided By Xulrunner-devel ===

An important change for applications which depend on ''gecko-libs''
was announced[1] by MartinStransky.  The ''firefox-devel'' packages
will no longer exist and instead are replaced by ''xulrunner-devel''
which provides ''gecko-libs''. Martin explained that Firefox would
henceforth be shipped as a pure XUL application running on
Xulrunner[2]. Martin requested maintainers of packages which built
against gecko-libs or firefox-devel to test rebuilds against xulrunner
and to contact him or Chris.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01072.html

[2] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XULRunner

One of the first to respond[3] was AlexLancaster who was trying to
rebuild Miro[4] (the excellent internet TV video player) and failing
due to ''gtkmozembed-xulrunner'' being missing.  When Martin provided
an updated xulrunner package (1.9-0.alpha9.5.fc9) things appeared[5]
to progress a little further.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01074.html

[4] http://www.getmiro.com/

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01376.html

Attempts to rebuild ''kazekhase'' by MamoruTasaka also failed[6],
apparently due to a required header being removed from upstream.
ChristopherAillon suggested using one of Mozilla's search tools to
find files associated used in their software.

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01080.html

The bigger picture was considered[7] by DennisJacobfeuerborn when he
asked whether the separation of Firefox from Xulrunner would see the
Fedora Project moving in an opposite direction to upstream Mozilla.
Dennis wondered whether an eventual fork would be necessary and
included a link[8] to a blog entry from BenjaminSmedbergs which
discussed the problems of the shared Gecko Runtime Environment[9] on
Microsoft Windows(TM). ChristopherAillon pointed out that the very
link which Dennis supplied contained a point which confirmed that
GNU/Linux distributions would be shipping Firefox3 as a XULRunner
application.  JefSpaleta added[10] that he was confident that the
Fedora Project had a good roadmap for Firefox, but that he was more
concerned with all the other applications depending on gecko-lib.  He
hoped that their maintainers were taking active steps to ensure that
the transition to XULRunner had been adequately communicated to their
various upstreams so that the maintainers themselves did not have to
patch like crazy. ChristopherAillon was sanguine[11] that most would
be using ''gtkmozembed'' and thus not be affected by the ''xulrunner''
changes.

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01138.html

[8] http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/blog/2007-05-15/xulrunner-what-we-are-doing/

[9] Benjamin's blog explains that the GRE per se never really shipped
on GNU/Linux and that it was essentially a precursor of XULRunner
http://benjamin.smedbergs.us/blog/2005-10-31/using-the-gre/

[10] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01230.html

[11] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01243.html

=== Autoloading Of Kmods In Udev Area ===

The splitting out of various I2C[1] tools from the ''lm_sensors''
package led HansdeGoede to observe[2] that the OpenSUSE specfile, upon
which he was basing his work, was creating character devices on the
fly. Hans was also adding an alias into ''/etc/modprobe.conf.dist''
which caused the i2c-dev kernel module to be automagically loaded.  He
wondered if this was the correct approach to the problem and asked if
someone could explain how ''loop.ko'' worked as it solved the same
problem.

[1] http://www.esacademy.com/faq/i2c/

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01027.html

BillNottingham answered[3] that the ''udev'' rule
''/etc/udev/makedev.d/50-udev.nodes'' created the loop device and
requested further details of the modules behind the i2c device.
MattDomsch linked[4] to the kernel list to show that his work on
DMI-based module autoloading might make it possible to do something
similar to what he had done for the ''dcdbas'' module.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01029.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01031.html

After further discussion between Hans and Bill which centered around
the question of which approach would be fastest and use less memory
Hans decided[5] to go with the approach of using a device node and
kmod.  He also noted that the loop module seemed to be autoloaded and
promised[6] to file a bugzilla entry.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01036.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01041.html

=== /tftpboot Versus /var/tftp Or Somewhere Else ===

ChuckAnderson requested[1] that the current location of the TFTP
"root" be changed from ''/tftpboot'' for a variety of reasons.  He
requested that at the very least SELinux policy be changed to allow
''/var/tftp'' as an alternate location. An especially strong objection
made by him was that the root of the filesystem on many servers would
be set as read-only.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00937.html

A response from DennisGilmore argued[2] among other things that the
majority use case was to net boot machines and that this was read-only
and commonly recognizable as a default. Dennis thought that someone
smart enough to undertake one of Chuck's other listed use cases
involving writing log data or crash dumps was probably competent to
change the default location too. JonMasters agreed with Dennis and
when Chuck appeared to discount his experience responded[3] by
emphasizing that he had built embedded devices for a living.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00938.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01220.html

After PatriceDumas cited the FHS WarrenTogami suggested[4] copying
Edubuntu's use of ''/var/lib/ftp'' and changing the SELinux policy to
allow the use of both the current legacy setting and this new one.
MichaelStahnke suggested using ''/srv'' but LubomirKundrak
remembered[6] an earlier thread (see FWN#103 "RFC: /var Or /srv"[7])
which he summed up as concluding "to not let anything in distro touch
/srv, it's meant to be used only by user for his custom services."
RichiPlana also suggested using ''/srv'' to which AlanCox responded[8]
"/srv is not available to distribution vendors" and advocated sticking
to the thirty year old tradition of using ''/tftpboot''.

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00945.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01066.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01066.html

[7] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue103#head-c1a0d4ef312061b439df55ebebc914e8fdbd0c7b

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00986.html

JesseKeating was skeptical about Alan's argument that the tradition
was something which should be adhered to and pointed out that to be
consistent would have meant keeping executables in ''/etc'', similar
to Solaris.  Alan defended his position on the grounds that there were
advantages to making that change, but none had been advanced for
breaking tftpboot.  RichiPlana came back[9] with a list of advantages
mostly clustered around a simple, logical organization.

[9] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00995.html

After StephenSmoogen inquired what the proper RFC procedure would be
for making such changes to the FHS there was a brief kerfuffle when
JonathanMasters misunderstood[10] Stephen to be announcing his
intention to create a ''/srv/fedora'' directory to make everything
Fedora-specific.

[10] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01221.html

=== Buildserver Kernel Release (PPC64) ===

A failed attempt to build ''eclipse-subclipse'' for ppc64 led
RobertMarcano to ask[1] whether the buildservers were running the
latest Fedora 8 kernel. ToshioKuratomi responded[2] that they were in
fact running Fedora Core 6 and were scheduled to be upgraded to RHEL5
in three weeks time.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00820.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00847.html

DennisGilmore informed Robert that a kernel update had been built by
DavidWoodhouse which should fix the bug which Robert had referenced.
Unfortunately Robert replied[3] that he now got an error on x86_64.
JesseKeating suggested[4] doing a scratch build using ''koji build
--scratch dist-f9 --arch-override ppc64 foo.src.rpm'' When Robert had
to report that while this new trick worked the error was the same on
ppc64 Jesse wondered[5] if the problem was that the opening of GUI was
being attempted on the builder machine which lacks Xorg. Unfortunately
this did not appear[6] to be the problem.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01265.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01267.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01280.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01289.html

=== Extension Buddy For Fedora 9 ? ===

"MarkG85" kicked off[1] the discussion of an "Extension Buddy" which
would be somewhat analogous to CodecBuddy in that it would sort out
whether a file could be played by some application based on its
extension, or could suggest a possible application which could do so.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00774.html

RalfErtzinger suggested that a bugzilla entry should be opened for the
specific example given of "Audacious" failing to handle files with the
''.m3u'' extension.  "MarkG85" was not pleased with this, but
DavidTimms agreed with Ralf that filing such bugs is the best way to
ensure progress and improvement.  David also outlined[2] a detailed
workflow or use case in order to understand the problem better. An
alternate vision was detailed[3] by RichiPlana.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00794.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01023.html

The existing ''/etc/mime.types'' and ''/etc/mailcap'' were
suggested[4] as a useful base by BrunoWolff.

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00877.html

BastienNocera liked the idea and redirected[5] attention to an earlier
discussion on @fedora-desktop which had considered the same problem.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00983.html

=== PulseAudio CPU Usage ===

Although he was enjoying PulseAudio questions about its CPU usage were
posed[1] by AhmedKamal. Ahmed was also disturbed that it appeared in
the process list with the name "exe"!

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01442.html

A quick response[2] from LennartPoettering (the main developer of
PulseAudio) informed that the "exe" naming issue had been fixed and
pointed the finger of blame at Macromedia Flash for not closing
playback streams until the browser window is closed. Ahmed's
experiments in closing the browser confirmed that CPU usage by
PulseAudio dropped[3] to 0%, but that starting up any other sound
application saw it climb again due to the sampling issues outlined in
Lennart's post. Lennart followed up with the suggestion that Ahmed
could use ''pacmd'' followed by ''list-sinks'' to confirm that his
card was fixed to 48KHz and that resampling would have to be done by
either PulseAudio or whichever applications he was using, so it may as
well be by PulseAudio.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01449.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01452.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01466.html

resampler were posted[5] by Lennart.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01480.html

=== Old Libtool Problems Reported By Check-rpaths ===

JohnDennis found[1] that one of his packages failed to build on x86_64
because the ''check-rpaths'' script complained that there was an RPATH
in the .so of a loadable module produced by the package.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01350.html

A suggestion[2] from RayStrode that the package might include a buggy,
older version of ''libtool'' was confirmed[3] by HansdeGoede.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01356.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01369.html

[[Anchor(Artwork)]]
== Artwork ==

In this section, we cover Fedora Artwork Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

Contributing Writer: TimothyRoberts

=== Naming of Fedora 9? ===

Now that Fedora 8 "Werewolf" has finally been released into the wild,
the gauntlet has been thrown. What shall we name the next Fedora
release? JakubRusinek has started this lengthy debate on
fedora-arts-list[1], with numerous people throwing in their two cents.
What are you waiting for? Send in your own idea. It could become the
next big thing.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00073.html

=== Fedora 9 Theming? ===

MichaelBeckwith has brought to our attention that Fedora 9 theme ideas
need to start rolling in[1]. He emphasis ideas that revolve around the
idea of "Freedom". So let your creative side come forth and spawn
something truly beautiful for the next release.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00106.html

=== Rounded Corners Patch for Nodoka ===

CharlesBrej has released[1] a patch to the Nodoka GTK theme, slightly
altering it to change any square corners to rounded ones. A small
change, but well appreciated by many people. This patch can be found
here[2].

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00093.html

[2] http://www.mediafire.com/?1nybuai1d5c

=== Spring and Autumn On Your Desktop ===

StevenGarrity has proposed a new idea for the Fedora Desktop: Seasonal
theming[1]. The beauty of spring and autumn manifested into pixels,
wouldn't that be a sight to behold? He states that we could, 'adopt a
"spring' visual theme for the odd-numbered releases that fall in the
spring, and a 'fall' visual theme for the even-numbered releases that
fall in the, well, fall." What are you waiting for? Go outside and get
inspired before the fall(Or spring, if you're in the southern
hemisphere) ends, and winter(Or summer) sets in.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00099.html

=== Infinity 24 for KDE ===

LaithJuwaidah has released[1] a small script to the community, that
changes the wallpaper on a KDE desktop every hour, to different
versions of the "Infinity" wallpaper. The script utilizes KDE's
advanced desktop options, so all you GNOME users seem to be out of
luck for the moment. The script can be found here[2].

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00122.html

[2] http://ljuwaida.fedorapeople.org/Artwork/Infinity/KDE/Wallpaper

[[Anchor(SecurityWeek)]]
== Security Week ==

In this section, we highlight the security stories from the week in Fedora.

Contributing Writer: JoshBressers

=== Samba ===
Last week saw the release of a new version of Samba, with two security fixes:

http://samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2007-4572.html

http://samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2007-5398.html

Both of these issues sound pretty bad, but only CVE-2007-5398 is truly
scary.  CVE-2007-4572 initially looked rather bad, but after a
thorough analysis it was determined that under normal use the flaw
shouldn't even crash the Samba server.  A detailed analysis of this
flaw can be found here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=294631#c3

=== AppArmor's Security Goals ===
I'm no fan of AppArmor, but aside from that there is a most
interesting read regarding it on Kernel Trap.  Those of you interested
in such a thing might find it useful:

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/AppArmors_Security_Goals

=== Hushmail not so hush ===
It seems that Hushmail is willing to share the PGP keys of its clients
with law enforcement:

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/65213,hushmail-turns-out-to-be-anything-but.aspx

While this probably isn't terribly surprising (most companies are
willing to work with law enforcement).  It is an opportunity to point
out that unless you have complete control over your encryption key,
you should assume that someone else has it.  This includes things like
storing keys on NFS home directories or using public computers with
your private key.  Keeping a private key protected properly is very
difficult, and everyone has to compromise perfect security for reality
at some point.  It should be completely obvious though, that trusting
someone else, especially a corporation, with your private key is most
unwise.

[[Anchor(AdvisoriesUpdates)]]
== Advisories and Updates ==

In this section, we cover Security Advisories and Package Updates from
fedora-package-announce.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Fedora 8 Security Advisories ===

 * openvrml-0.16.6-8.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00285.html
 * perl-5.8.8-31.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00307.html
 * link-grammar-4.2.5-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00338.html
 * tomboy-0.8.1-3.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00351.html
 * chmsee-1.0.0-1.26.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00437.html
 * php-pear-MDB2-Driver-mysqli-1.4.1-3.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00441.html
 * php-pear-MDB2-Driver-mysql-1.4.1-3.fc8.1  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00442.html
 * php-pear-MDB2-2.4.1-2.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00443.html
 * thunderbird-2.0.0.9-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00485.html
 * samba-3.0.27-0.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00504.html
 * emacs-22.1-8.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00514.html
 * tomcat5-5.5.25-1jpp.1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00545.html

=== Fedora 7 Security Advisories ===

 * kdegraphics-3.5.8-7.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00309.html
 * kde-i18n-3.5.8-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00310.html
 * kdeutils-3.5.8-2.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00311.html
 * kdebindings-3.5.8-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00312.html
 * kdewebdev-3.5.8-3.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00313.html
 * kdenetwork-3.5.8-6.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00314.html
 * kdeadmin-3.5.8-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00315.html
 * kdegames-3.5.8-3.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00316.html
 * kdeaccessibility-3.5.8-2.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00317.html
 * kdelibs-3.5.8-7.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00318.html
 * kdepim-3.5.8-5.svn20071013.ent.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00319.html
 * kdetoys-3.5.8-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00320.html
 * kdevelop-3.5.0-4.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00321.html
 * kdeartwork-3.5.8-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00322.html
 * kdesdk-3.5.8-2.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00323.html
 * kdeedu-3.5.8-2.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00324.html
 * kdemultimedia-3.5.8-8.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00325.html
 * kdeaddons-3.5.8-2.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00326.html
 * kdebase-3.5.8-3.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00327.html
 * arts-1.5.8-4.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00328.html
 * perl-5.8.8-26.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00353.html
 * openvrml-0.16.6-6.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00355.html
 * link-grammar-4.2.5-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00411.html
 * php-pear-MDB2-Driver-mysql-1.4.1-3.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00434.html
 * php-pear-MDB2-Driver-mysqli-1.4.1-3.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00435.html
 * php-pear-MDB2-2.4.1-2.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00436.html
 * samba-3.0.27-0.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00472.html
 * thunderbird-2.0.0.9-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00498.html
 * emacs-22.1-5.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00524.html
 * tomcat5-5.5.25-1jpp.1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00525.html

=== Fedora Core 6 Security Advisories ===

 * mono-1.1.17.1-5.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00455.html
 * cups-1.2.12-6.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00456.html
 * openldap-2.3.30-3.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00460.html

[[Anchor(EventsMeetings)]]
== Events and Meetings ==

In this section, we cover event reports and meeting summaries from
various projects.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Fedora Board Meeting Minutes 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Ambassadors Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Documentation Steering Committee (Log) 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Engineering Steering Committee Meeting 2007-11-15 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01517.html

=== Fedora Infrastructure Meeting (Log) 2007-11-15 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2007-November/msg00135.html

=== Fedora Localization Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Marketing Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Quality Assurance Meeting 2007-11-14 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-November/msg00784.html

=== Fedora Release Engineering Meeting 2007-11-12 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00954.html

=== Fedora SIG EPEL Meeting Week 45 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-November/msg00059.html

=== Fedora SIG KDE Meeting Week 46 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01042.html

=== Fedora SIG Store Meeting 2007-11-14 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Store/Meetings/2007-11-14

--
Thomas Chung