Fedora Weekly News Issue 128

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 14 07:41:27 UTC 2008

= Fedora Weekly News Issue 128 =

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 128 for the week of April 14th, 2008.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue128

In Announcements, we have "Please digg: Fedora stories".

In Planet Fedora, we have "FLSCo elections slipped", "FLSCo elections
slipped", "Random Fedora musings" and "Recovering Data from Windows
systems by using Linux"

'''Looking for Marketing News Beat Writer''': If you're actively
monitoring fedora-marketing-list, we'd like to hear from you. Please
see 'join' page.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join.

   1. Announcements
         1. Please digg: Fedora stories
   2. Planet Fedora
         1. FLSCo elections slipped
         2. Thank you seeders!
         3. Random Fedora musings
         4. Recovering Data from Windows systems by using Linux
   3. Ambassadors
         1. Event Report: Notacon 5
         2. Fedora 9 Release Parties
         3. APAC Ambassador Meeting Announced
         4. Fedora in Libraries
         5. New Deadline for Ambassador Polo Shirts
   4. Translation
         1. FLSCo elections moved
         2. Fedora 9 GA Release Notes
   5. Infrastructure
         1. fedora-infrastructure.git
         2. Possible new CLA
   6. Artwork
         1. Last minute: new Waves walpaper (F9)
         2. More themes for Fedora 10
   7. Security Advisories
         1. Fedora 8 Security Advisories
         2. Fedora 7 Security Advisories
   8. Events and Meetings
         1. Fedora Board Meeting Minutes 2008-04-08
         2. Fedora Community Architecture Meeting 2008-04-07
         3. Fedora Ambassadors Steering Committee Meeting 2008-04-11
         4. Fedora Engineering Steering Committee Meeting 2008-04-10
         5. Fedora Infrastructure Meeting 2008-04-10
         6. Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting 2008-04-08
         7. Fedora Release Engineering Meeting 2008-04-07
         8. Fedora SIG KDE Meeting 2008-04-08

[[Anchor(Announcements)]]
== Announcements ==

In this section, we cover announcements from Fedora Project.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Please digg: Fedora stories ===

GregDeKoenigsberg announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

"In the run-up to Fedora 9, we on the Fedora marketing team are
looking to collect as many interesting stories about Fedora as we
possibly can. Did you know that someone is building soccer playing
robots using Fedora? Neither did I! These are the kinds of stories
that we want to share with the world."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-April/msg00007.html

[[Anchor(PlanetFedora)]]
== Planet Fedora ==

In this section, we cover a highlight of Planet Fedora - an
aggregation of blogs from world wide Fedora contributors.

http://planet.fedoraproject.org/

Contributing Writers: ThomasChung

=== FLSCo elections slipped ===

DimitrisGlezos points out in his blog[1],

"We're slipping the FLSCo elections to give more time for Infra on
setting up the voting system. The voting week now starts on 22/4,
which means we have 8 more days for new nominations."

[1] http://dimitris.glezos.com/weblog/2008/04/14/flsco-elections-slipped/

=== Thank you seeders! ===

JeroenVanMeeuwen points out in his blog[1]

"So, what I'm trying to say is: Thank you, additional 40 voluntary
seeders! And thank you, 45 original seeders! In 4 days after my
original blog post requesting additional seeds, you doubled the amount
of seeds and took some weight off my shoulders. I can breath again!"

[1] http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/kanarip/2008/04/13/thank-you-seeders

=== Random Fedora musings ===

DaveJones points out in his blog[1],

"Earlier this week, I noticed a posting from Andy Wingo about how he'd
switched to Fedora from Ubuntu. Whilst I found his post interesting, I
knew I'd find the comments even moreso. Certain things keep coming up
over and over again, and I'd really like to know more."

[1] http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/117578.html

=== Recovering Data from Windows systems by using Linux ===

HaraldHoyer points out in his blog[1],

"Somehow I stumbled over a PDF about Recovering Data from Windows
systems by using Linux. Very nice, I think I'll print the first page,
put it in a frame and hang it on the wall :-)."

[1] http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/recovering-data-from-windows-systems-by-using

[[Anchor(Ambassadors)]]
== Ambassadors ==

In this section, we cover Fedora Ambassadors Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors

Contributing Writer: JeffreyTadlock

=== Event Report:  Notacon 5 ===

JasonFenner reported [1] on the Fedora presence at Notacon 5 in
Cleveland, Ohio on April 5th.  The report covers the frequently asked
questions at the event, the numbers behind how much media and other
swag were given away and more.  Read the full report and do not miss
the picture gallery [2].

[1] http://axelilly.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/event-report-fedora-at-notacon-5/

[2] http://picasaweb.google.com/axelilly/FedoraTableAtNotacon5

=== Fedora 9 Release Parties ===

JeffreyTadlock posted [1] an announcement to the Ambassadors mailing
list announcing a push for global Fedora 9 release parties.
Organizing a Fedora 9 release party is a great way to get started with
the Fedora Ambassadors.  Included in the announcement was link to the
new Release Party Planning page [2] in the wiki.  Be sure to add your
event to the Fedora Events page.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-April/msg00043.html

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/ReleaseEvents

[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents

=== APAC Ambassador Meeting Announced ===

SusmitShannigrahi has started a thread [1] on the Ambassadors mailing
list and is stepping up to lead the Ambassador meetings for the APAC
region [2].  If you are an Ambassador or have interest in being an
Ambassador in the APAC region please be sure to attend the initial
meeting and help make it a success.  Keep an eye on the Ambassador
meeting page for any updates [3].

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-April/msg00047.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-April/msg00064.html

[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Meetings

=== Fedora in Libraries ===

KarlieRobinson announced [1] the efforts to get Fedora on your local
libraries' shelves through the Public Software Foundation [2].  Fedora
is listed as a resource here [3].  Keep an eye on the Ambassadors list
and Public Software Foundation site for more information on this
initiative.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-April/msg00050.html

[2] http://publicsoftwarefoundation.org/

[3] http://publicsoftwarefoundation.org/resources/index.php?wiki=Fedora

=== New Deadline for Ambassador Polo Shirts ===

JoergSimon announced [1] a new deadline for ordering Fedora Ambassador
Polo shirts for LinuxTag.  The new deadline to order shirts is April
18th, 2008 by 8:00 UTC.  Add your name to the list [2] if you will be
ordering one and at LinuxTag to pick up the shirt.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-April/msg00053.html

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/PoloShirt

[[Anchor(Translation)]]
== Translation ==

This section, we cover the news surrounding the Fedora Translation
(L10n) Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N

Contributing Writer: MarekMahut

=== FLSCo elections moved ===

DimitrisGlezos informs [1] and also calls [2] for nominations on
fedora-trans-list.

"The voting system used by
Fedora will require some more work in order to be usable for our
elections (mainly to work with FAS2). We're expecting it to be ready
on Tuesday 22/4. This means we'll be moving the election period for
FLSCo to 22-29/4. So, 8 more days for folks who'd like to put their
nominations in!"

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-April/msg00125.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-April/msg00111.html

=== Fedora 9 GA Release Notes ===

MurrayMcAllister informs [1] on fedora-trans-list.

"Reminding everyone that PO files are due at UTC 2359 on 2008-04-15 for
the Fedora 9 GA Release Notes."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-April/msg00120.html

[[Anchor(Infrastructure)]]
== Infrastructure ==

This section contains the discussion happening on the
fedora-infrastructure-list

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure

Contributing Writer:  HuzaifaSidhpurwala

=== fedora-infrastructure.git ===

RolandMcGrath writes on fedora-infrastructure-list [1]

What is the relationship between
git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fedora-infrastructure.git and the
configs/system scripts in puppet1:/cvs/puppet?

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2008-April/msg00029.html

=== Possible new CLA ===

PaulFrields writes on fedora-infrastructure-list [2]

There is a draft of a new CLA being circulated at FreeIPA [3]. Paul
asked Legal for a summary of what's changed and why, and an answer to
whether all Fedora contributors would need to re-execute this
agreement.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2008-April/msg00032.html

[3] http://www.freeipa.org/wiki/images/2/2b/GenericCLA.pdf

[[Anchor(Artwork)]]
== Artwork ==

In this section, we cover Fedora Artwork Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

Contributing Writer: NicuBuculei

=== Last minute: new Waves walpaper (F9) ===

A few days in advance to the final freeze for Fedora 9, MairinDuffy
voices [1] the concerns she received regarding the current state of
the artwork: "I've received a few complaints about the f9 wallpaper
(it seems the sulphur is really unpopular) and I've been experimenting
with alternative designs for it but trying to keep the same look and
feel of the rest of the artwork." Everibody chimes in, and quickly it
evolves to a proposal [2] and a final design [3]. Expect the distro
graphics to rock once again.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-April/msg00149.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-April/msg00178.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-April/msg00268.html

=== More themes for Fedora 10 ===

In paralell with themes development for Fedora, people in the Fedora
Art Team proposed a couple more themes for the next version, Fedora 10
[1]: MolaPahnadayan came with Blue Fire [2] and MariaLeandro with
Moonrise [3].

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-April/msg00252.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-April/msg00257.html

[[Anchor(SecurityAdvisories)]]
== Security Advisories ==

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Fedora 8 Security Advisories ===

 * cups-1.3.6-4.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00091.html
 * xine-lib-1.1.11.1-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00157.html
 * bzip2-1.0.4-13.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00165.html
 * comix-3.6.4-6.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00171.html
 * PolicyKit-0.6-2.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00176.html
 * audit-1.6.8-4.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00200.html
 * gnome-screensaver-2.20.0-12.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00206.html
 * konversation-1.0.1-4.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00209.html
 * pdns-recursor-3.1.5-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00224.html
 * wireshark-1.0.0-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00228.html

=== Fedora 7 Security Advisories ===

 * cups-1.2.12-10.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00105.html
 * konversation-1.0.1-4.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00134.html
 * wireshark-1.0.0-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00140.html
 * xine-lib-1.1.11.1-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00143.html
 * gnome-screensaver-2.18.2-4.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00163.html
 * comix-3.6.4-6.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00183.html
 * pdns-recursor-3.1.5-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00198.html
 * bzip2-1.0.4-11.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-April/msg00225.html

[[Anchor(EventsMeetings)]]
== Events and Meetings ==

In this section, we cover event reports and meeting summaries from
various Projects and SIGs.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Fedora Board Meeting Minutes 2008-04-08 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings/

=== Fedora Community Architecture Meeting 2008-04-07 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommunityArchitecture/Meetings/

=== Fedora Ambassadors Steering Committee Meeting 2008-04-11 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Meetings/

=== Fedora Engineering Steering Committee Meeting 2008-04-10 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Development/SteeringCommittee/Meetings

=== Fedora Infrastructure Meeting 2008-04-10 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Meetings

=== Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting 2008-04-08 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Minutes

=== Fedora Release Engineering Meeting 2008-04-07 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/Meetings

=== Fedora SIG KDE Meeting 2008-04-08 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Meetings/

--
Thomas Chung