Patent defense, FOSS-style

Robert Tiller rtiller at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 15:51:14 UTC 2009

  I wanted to let everyone know of a new development in the lawsuit
against Red Hat and Novell brought by IP Innovation, a subsidiary of the
noted patent troll firm Acacia Technologies. We are inviting FOSS
community members to submit prior art relevant to the patents, which may
be used to help invalidate the patents.
  On Friday we posted information regarding the three patents in suit on
the Linux Defenders website in its Post Issue Peer to Patent  area.  The
site was developed with Red Hat's assistance by the Open Invention
Network and the Center for Patent Innovations at New York Law School,
which is now being run by our old friend Mark Webbink.  The site is
here:
http://www.post-issue.org/user-interface-with-multiple-workspaces-for-sharing-display-system-objects-3
The claims of the patents, which can be reached from the site, concern a
user interface that has multiple workspaces.
  Red Hat has strong defenses in this lawsuit, but this will likely
reinforce them.  We also view this as an additional opportunity for
creative collaboration with the community.

--
Robert H. Tiller
Vice President
rtiller at redhat.com