Announcing the Moksha Project and Fedora Community Project!

John Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 18:47:57 UTC 2009

We are pleased to announce the Moksha Project and Fedora Community Project.  For a while now, Luke Macken, Máirín Duffy, myself and others have been working on consolidating the the Fedora Infrastructure bits under one unified user interface.  We have decided to split the efforts into two projects.

* Moksha - a generic platform for creating live collaborative web applications
* Fedora Community - a website portal built on top of the Moksha platform

What is Moksha?

Moksha is a platform for creating real-time collaborative web applications.  It provides a set of Python and JavaScript API's that make it simple to create rich applications that can acquire, manipulate, and visualize data from external services. It is a unified framework build using the best available open source technologies such as TurboGears2, jQuery, AMQP, and Orbited.  More information can be found on the Moksha Project Page at http://moksha.fedorahosted.org

What is Fedora Community?

Fedora Community aims at being a portal interface for Fedora Project members to collaborate within and find information about the diverse Fedora universe.  It is created from applications built on top of the Moksha platform.  Fedora Community is assembled from a wide-ranging set of modules that integrates existing Fedora Infrastructure components such as koji, bodhi, FAS, and PkgDB. More information and an example of the interface can be found at the Fedora Community project page
http://johnp.fedorapeople.org/fedora-community/ .

Timeline

Moksha's base functionality is scheduled for completion by the beginning of February. Our focus will then shift toward integration and polish to deliver the Fedora Community website in March.

Getting Involved

Weekly Meetings - We will be having public meetings every Monday morning at 10am EST (1500 UTC) where we go over the last week's progress and the current week's goals.  Anyone is welcome to join and take on action items.

The meetings will be broadcast over Fedora Talk. If you are a Fedora Talk user with a soft/voip phone, you can join the conference via 2001 at fedoraproject.org or infrastructure at fedoraproject.org. If you wish to dial in via a normal telephone, choose one of these local numbers:
      * 919-424-0063 - Raleigh, NC
      * 312-577-0052 - Chicago, IL
      * 978-303-8021 - Westford, MA
      * 650-930-9514 - Sunnyvale, CA
      * 442030518327 - UK

The conference call extension is 2001.

irc - #moksha on irc.freenode.net
mailing list - https://fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/moksha

Since at this point Moksha and Fedora Community development are pretty much intertwined, Fedora Community will be using the Moksha irc channel and mailing list.  At some point in the future we may wish to create a new irc channel and mailing list for Fedora Community efforts.

Resources

Moksha Project Page - http://lmacken.fedorapeople.org/moksha/
Moksha Trac - https://fedorahosted.org/moksha/
MyFedora Trac - https://fedorahosted.org/myfedora/