Fedora Weekly News 201

Pascal Calarco pcalarco at nd.edu
Mon Nov 9 18:31:01 UTC 2009

           o 1.1 Announcements
                 + 1.1.1 FEDORA ANNOUNCE LIST
                       # 1.1.1.1 CC license changeover complete
                       # 1.1.1.2 Reminder: Fedora Board IRC meeting
                       # 1.1.1.3 Announcing Fedora-Medical SIG.
                       # 1.1.1.4 Fedora 12 now in RC freeze
                 + 1.1.2 FEDORA DEVELOPMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS
                       # 1.1.2.1 Outage Notification - 2009-11-05
                       # 1.1.2.2 Addition to the Policy for non
				responsive maintainers
                       # 1.1.2.3 Upcoming Bugzilla Changes
                       # 1.1.2.4 Request your FUDCon funding now: cutoff
				Thursday 19:30 UTC
                       # 1.1.2.5 Notice: Fedora 12 Tagging Status Update
                       # 1.1.2.6 Reminder: Tagging Policy for Fedora 12
                 + 1.1.3 FEDORA EVENTS
                       # 1.1.3.1 Upcoming Events
                       # 1.1.3.2 Past Events
           o 1.2 Ambassadors
                 + 1.2.1 Fedora 12 event in Antwerp, Belgium
                 + 1.2.2 Fedora 12 is coming
           o 1.3 Translation
                 + 1.3.1 Serbian Translation File Nomenclature
                 + 1.3.2 Templates for Marketing Content
                 + 1.3.3 New Members
           o 1.4 Artwork
                 + 1.4.1 Game Screenshots
                 + 1.4.2 Remaining Tasks for Fedora 12
           o 1.5 Security Advisories
                 + 1.5.1 Fedora 11 Security Advisories
                 + 1.5.2 Fedora 10 Security Advisories

-  Fedora Weekly News Issue 201 -

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 201[1] for the week ending November
8, 2009. What follows are some highlights from this issue.

In this week's issue, a variety of announcements from the Project kicks
us off, including completion of the Fedora documentation to a Creative
Commons license, announcement of a new Fedora Medical special interest
group, and announcements related to the upcoming Fedora 12 release
candidate. In Ambassador news, details on an upcoming Fedora 12 event in
Antwerp, Belgium. In Translation news, details regarding the Serbian
translation team's discovery of a nomenclature discrepancy, a proposal
to prepare marketing materials for use by the Ambassador program, and
new members joining the Czech and Bengali localization teams. From the
Art/Design Team, a call for help to assemble screenshots of games
included in the Fedora Game spin and details on the remaining Art Team
tasks for the road to Fedora 12. The Security Advisories beat brings us
up to date on the security-related updates to Fedora 11 and 10 over this
past week, and rounds out this issue of FWN. Enjoy!

If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see
our 'join' page[2]. We welcome reader feedback: fedora-news-list at redhat.com

The Fedora News team is collaborating with Marketing and Docs to come up
with a new exciting platform for disseminating news and views on Fedora,
called Fedora Insight. We plan to have the next issue of Fedora Weekly
News in Fedora Insight, next week. We welcome your feedback as we
migrate FWN to this new content platform!

FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco, Adam Williamson

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue201
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

--  Announcements --

In this section, we cover announcements from the Fedora Project,
including general announcements[1], development announcements[2] and
Events[3].

Contributing Writer: Rashadul Islam

    1. http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/
    2. http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events

---  FEDORA ANNOUNCE LIST ---

----  CC license changeover complete ----

Ian Weller announced about the CC license changeover completion [1]. He
mentioned, “The Docs team has finished converting all current
documentation and project content from the OPL to a CC BY-SA 3.0
Unported license.

Additional information can be found at [2][3]

Thanks again to Tom "spot" Callaway, Richard Fontana of Red Hat Legal
and all the Fedora contributors who helped with the conversion. Here's
to freer documentation for Fedora 12!”

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-November/msg00001.html
    2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Relicensing_OPL_to_CC_BY_SA
    3.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-October/msg00001.html

----  Reminder: Fedora Board IRC meeting 1700 UTC 2009-11-05 ----

Paul W. Frields, the Fedora Project Leader, announced [1] a reminder
about the Fedora Board IRC Meeting. He said, “The Board is holding its
monthly public meeting on Thursday, November 5, 2009, at 1700 UTC on IRC
Freenode. For this meeting, the public is invited to do the following:

Join #fedora-board-meeting to see the Board's conversation. Join
#fedora-board-questions to discuss topics and post questions. This
channel is read/write for everyone.”

Note that daylight savings time ends in the USA on November 1, and on
November 5, 1700 UTC == 12:00pm US Eastern == 9:00am US Pacific.

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-October/msg00009.html

----  Announcing Fedora-Medical SIG. ----

Susmit shannigrahi had announced Fedora-Medical SIG[1]. On his
announcement, he mentioned how the idea came from (Fedora India mailing
list [2]), how to make the Fedora Medical SIG successful, the initial
SIG page [3] and the goal of the SIG. He said, “Simply put, the goal of
the SIG is going to be:

1. Working on identifying the various workflows / needs of the medical
or healthcare community in terms of software. 2. Bring together and
package the software those fitting in the workflow. 3. Composing a spin
to get a out-of-the-box solution. 4. At a later stage, developing any
crucial app that may be lacking. ”

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-October/msg00008.html
    2. https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-india/2009-July/msg00060.html
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/FedoraMedical

----  Fedora 12 now in RC freeze ----

Bill Nottingham announced on behalf of the Fedora Release Engineering,
“Fedora 12 now in RC freeze” [1]. He said, “We are reaching a very deep
freeze now as we try and get a final release candidate for Fedora 12.
Bodhi is now open for submitting F-12 updates, and we hope to have
update repositories for testing later this weekend. If you have critical
blocking issues, you can continue to file tag requests with 'make
tag-request', and they will be considered. For the majority of updates,
though, please use bodhi.”

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-November/msg00001.html

---  FEDORA DEVELOPMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS ---

----  Outage Notification - 2009-11-05 13:00 UTC ----

“There will be an outage starting at 2009-11-05 13:00 UTC, which will
last approximately 1 hour.”, announced[2] Mike McGrath. He added, “To
convert UTC to your local time, take a look at [3] or run:

date -d '2009-11-05 13:00 UTC'

Affected Services: Buildsystem DNS Torrent Translation Services Websites

Unaffected Services: CVS / Source Control Database Fedora Hosted Fedora
People Fedora Talk Mail Mirror System

Ticket Link:[4]

Reason for Outage: IBM wants us reseat the DIMMs and get FRU information
off of them. Don is going to do this work for us (thanks ibiblio). Seth
is going to do a graceful shutoff.

Contact Information: Please join #fedora-admin in irc.freenode.net or
respond to this email to track the status of this outage.”

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-November/msg00001.html
    2.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-November/msg00000.html
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UTCHowto
    4. https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1785

----  Addition to the Policy for non responsive maintainers ----

Kevin announced, “FESCo has made an additional 'fast track' process for
non responsive maintainers available for some rare cases.”[1]

[2] For more details. [3] As well as: [4]

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00010.html
    2.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintainers#Fast_Track_procedure
    3. https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/251
    4.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-09-18/fedora-meeting.2009-09-18-16.59.log.html#l-31

----  Upcoming Bugzilla Changes ----

Edward Kirk on behalf of the Fedora Bug Triage Team mentioned the
upcoming Bugzilla Changes [1].

He said, “This e-mail is designed to let you know about two things
happening around November 17, 2009 (Fedora 12 release day) and what you
need to do, if anything.

(1) We will be automatically changing the version all rawhide bugs to
Fedora 12.This will result in regular bugs reported against rawhide
during the Fedora 12 development cycle being changed to version '12'
instead of their current assignment, 'rawhide'. This is done in order to
more accurately tell where in the lineage of releases the bug was last
reported because over time 'rawhide' becomes ambiguous.

Note that this procedure does not apply to bugs that are against
component 'Package Review' or bugs that have the 'FutureFeature' or
'Tracking' keywords set. They will stay open as rawhide bugs indefinitely.

If you do not want your bugs changed to version '12', add the
FutureFeature keyword. If you need help changing a large amount of bugs
manually, we'd be glad to help. Stop by #fedora-bugzappers on
irc.freenode.net and we'll help you.

(2) All bugs for upcoming EOL releases (at this point, Fedora 10) will
get a comment on release day, explaining that one month of maintenance
remains. These bugs must move to a later version if still applicable or
they will be automatically closed in one month with a resolution of
WONTFIX.”

More about these processes is here:[2]

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00009.html
    2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping

----  Request your FUDCon funding now: cutoff Thursday 19:30 UTC ----

Mel Chua announced, [1] “Request your FUDCon funding now: cutoff
Thursday 19:30 UTC”.

Here is the brief, “We’d like to wrap up budgeting for FUDCon Toronto
2009 as the happy date draws nearer. And we need your help. Ask us for
money! Before Thursday October 29 at 19:30 UTC, that is. More details
here (the blog post below will lead you to instructions on the wiki
outlining how to request funding):[2] I look forward to a flooded inbox
on Thursday afternoon. ;)”

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00008.html
    2.
http://blog.melchua.com/2009/10/25/request-your-fudcon-funding-now-cutoff-thursday-1930-utc

----  Notice: Fedora 12 Tagging Status Update ----

Warren Togami announced [1] that Fedora Release Engineering had decided
to deal with the 250+ backlog of Bodhi update requests by tagging them
all into f12-final. Bodhi is now disabled for Fedora 12 updates. He said,

"Questions 1) Why tag all Update requests into f12-final? At this point
of the schedule we realized that there were updates sitting in the queue
from since October. They were sitting there. Not getting pushed to any
repository. Rawhide gives these packages several more weeks of testing
exposure. This was decided to be better than a flood of day zero updates
that are poorly tested.

2) When will we be able to submit Updates again? Rel-eng will decide
when to begin accepting Updates for Fedora 12 again during Monday's
rel-eng meeting. Meanwhile please use the rel-eng ticketing system to
request tagging into f12-final.

3) How do I file a tag request to include my package into Fedora 12? [2]
Please file tag request tickets here if you want your package build to
be included in Fedora 12. Please include details like:

     * Full Name-Version-Release of your package(s)
     * What changed?
     * How risky is this change?
     * How important is this change?
     * How well tested is this package build?
     * Is this package in the critical-path list?

4) Which packages are critical-path? [3] Unfortunately we do not yet
have a permanent URL with the critical-path list. This page contains an
auto-generated list of critical-path packages as of today. If your
package is not critical-path and not a risk to others to update, then it
is highly likely proper to tag at this point of the schedule.

5) How many untagged packages are there? koji list-tagged --latest
dist-f12-updates-candidate This command lists all packages that are not
tagged for f12-final. In some cases these are false positives because a
newer package is instead tagged into f12-final. After you have tested
your package and verified it doesn't make things worse, please file
rel-eng tickets to have it included. Please direct questions to
fedora-devel-list.“

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00007.html
    2. https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/
    3.
https://fedorahosted.org/pipermail/autoqa-results/2009-October/001714.html

----  Reminder: Tagging Policy for Fedora 12 ----

Warren announced the Tagging Policy for Fedora 12[1]. He also detailed
about the following on the announcement: What Qualifies for Tagging?
Many Builds Not Tagged, but Probably Should Be How to Request Tagging
[2] Upcoming Deadlines [3]

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00006.html
    2. https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng
    3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Schedule

---  FEDORA EVENTS ---

Fedora events are the source of marketing, learning and meeting all the
fellow community people around you. So, please mark your agenda with the
following events to consider attending or volunteering near you!

----  Upcoming Events ----

     * North America (NA)[1]
     * Central & South America (LATAM) [2]
     * Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)[3]
     * India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)[4]

    1.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29
    2.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29_2
    3.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29_3
    4.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29_4

----  Past Events ----

Archive of Past Fedora Events[1]

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#Past_Events

--  Ambassadors --

In this section, we cover Fedora Ambassadors Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Larry Cafiero

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors

---  Fedora 12 event in Antwerp, Belgium ---

Bert Desmet reports there will be a Fedora 12 release event in Belgium
which will take place near Antwerp. The event will introduce Constantine
to Fedora veterans and new users alike, showing the new features in the
release, as well as providing tips and tricks for F12.

More information can be found on the wiki at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_Party_F12_Antwerp

---  Fedora 12 is coming ---

We're less than two weeks away from the release of Fedora 12.

With the upcoming release, this is a reminder that posting an
announcement of your event on Fedora Weekly News can help get the word
out. Contact FWN Ambassador correspondent Larry Cafiero at
lcafiero-AT-fedoraproject-DOT-org with announcements of upcoming events
-- and don't forget to e-mail reports after the events as well.

-- Translation --

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Translation (L10n)
Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Runa Bhattacharjee

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N

--- Serbian Translation File Nomenclature ---

Last week, Miloš Komarčević from the Serbian translation team has
highlighted a discepancy in the nomenclature of the language code for
Serbian written in Latin script[1].

Ruediger Landmann explained that this was caused due Transifex 0.5 and
Publican 0.x handling the locales differently. The former uses the
definition as per glibc and the latter identifies the sr-LATN[2]. This
caused statistics to be out of sync since the Serbian Latin (sr at Latn)
translations are based on the Serbian (sr) translations[3].

The issue would be resolved by Publican 1.0 and an upgrade of the Fedora
Transifex instance to v0.7 and all references to sr_Latn and sr at latin
can be moved to sr-Latn-RS.

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-November/msg00005.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-November/msg00009.html
    3.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-November/msg00012.html

--- Templates for Marketing Content ---

Zoltan Hopper put forward a suggestion[1] to prepare promotional
document templates on the Fedora Ambassadors wiki page, which could then
be translated by the translation teams, compiled into a print/DTP ready
format and made available for distribution by the ambassadors in their
local region. Zoltan is also planning to put together a sample template
for combined document that would also include information for new
contributors[2].

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-November/msg00006.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-November/msg00023.html

--- New Members ---

Jaroslav Apolenar (Czech)[1] and Bibhas Ch. Debnath (Bengali)[2] joined
the Fedora Localization Project last week.

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-November/msg00024.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-November/msg00028.html

-- Artwork --

In this section, we cover the Fedora Design Team[1].

Contributing Writer: Nicu Buculei

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

--- Game Screenshots ---

Máirín Duffy asked for help[1] for a distributed effort to cover with
screenshots the large number of games comprising the Fedora Games spin
"a lot more are needed. Can you help us out? We made them 300px x 225
px, and took a screenshot and put a logo in too. Where the game didn't
have a logo we made one. Let me know if you can help! You can claim a
whole letter (e.g., I took care of all the games that begin with A) and
churn them out." The task being easy and the topic addictive, a number
of contributors joined and the screenshots coverage increased dramatically.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-November/001313.html

--- Remaining Tasks for Fedora 12 ---

After John Poelstra sent a reminder[1] about the Design tasks still
open, Máirín Duffy claimed[2] and then proposed[3] a design for the
front page banner and Alexander Smirnov proposed[4] a couple of small
sized banners and a front page banner. Luya Tshimbalanga is looking
into[5] CD/DVD covers and labels.

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-November/001332.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-November/001342.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-November/001354.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-November/001345.html
    5.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-November/001353.html

-- Security Advisories --

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

--- Fedora 11 Security Advisories ---

     * wireshark-1.2.2-1.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00007.html
     * rt3-3.8.2-11.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00020.html
     * squidGuard-1.4-8.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00082.html
     * python-4Suite-XML-1.0.2-8.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00106.html
     * expat-2.0.1-6.fc11.1 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00137.html
     * mimetex-1.71-1.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00165.html
     * PyXML-0.8.4-16.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00175.html
     * kernel-2.6.30.9-96.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00178.html
     * alienarena-data-20091102-1.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00179.html
     * alienarena-7.32-1.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00180.html

--- Fedora 10 Security Advisories ---

     * rt3-3.8.2-11.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00025.html
     * PyXML-0.8.4-12.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00067.html
     * python-4Suite-XML-1.0.2-8.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00079.html
     * mimetex-1.71-1.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00084.html
     * blam-1.8.5-15.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00113.html
     * epiphany-2.24.3-11.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00114.html
     * epiphany-extensions-2.24.3-6.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00115.html
     * firefox-3.0.15-1.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00116.html
     * galeon-2.0.7-15.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00117.html
     * gecko-sharp2-0.13-13.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00118.html
     * evolution-rss-0.1.4-5.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00119.html
     * gnome-python2-extras-2.19.1-35.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00120.html
     * gnome-web-photo-0.3-23.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00121.html
     * google-gadgets-0.10.5-11.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00122.html
     * kazehakase-0.5.6-4.fc10.7 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00123.html
     * mozvoikko-0.9.5-15.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00124.html
     * Miro-2.0.5-5.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00125.html
     * mugshot-1.2.2-14.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00126.html
     * perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed-0.08-6.fc10.6 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00127.html
     * pcmanx-gtk2-0.3.8-14.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00128.html
     * ruby-gnome2-0.19.3-3.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00129.html
     * xulrunner-1.9.0.15-1.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00130.html
     * yelp-2.24.0-14.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00131.html
     * squidGuard-1.4-8.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00172.html
     * expat-2.0.1-5.fc10.1 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00174.html
     * kernel-2.6.27.38-170.2.113.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00190.html
     * alienarena-data-20091102-1.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00218.html
     * alienarena-7.32-1.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-November/msg00219.html

- end FWN #201 -
---
Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pcalarco