[fedora-arm] success with Fedora on QNAP TS-219P

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Mon Oct 5 12:48:57 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have succeeded with booting and running Fedora/ARM on QNAP TS-219P
[1]. I have used Debian howtos written by Martin Michlmayr [2] as a
basis for QNAP specific information [2], root filesystem from [3] and an
own kernel and initrd [4]. Available are 2 variants of the initrd - one
boots into /dev/sda1 (ext3 partition on disk) and second one boots into
a /dev/Linux/Root logical volume.

The steps are
1. prepare a HDD with unpacked root filesystem on a partition (or a LV),
you should also unpack the modules-*.tar.bz2 into the newly created
filesystem
2. connect serial console to QNAP
3. start TFTP server on your workstation
4. set client/server IP addresses in U-Boot to match your network
5. from U-Boot prompt run
tftpboot 0x800000 uImage-2.6.31.1-kw-ts219
tftpboot 0xa00000 initrd-2.6.31.1-kw-ts219-sda1.img.uboot
setenv bootargs 'console=ttyS0,115200 ro root=/dev/sda1'
bootm 0x800000 0xa00000
6. login as root, password should be marvell

The kernel/initrd should work on TS-119, TS-219 and TS-219P. I know this
mail is very brief, but if you have questions just ask me here or on the
#fedora-arm IRC channel (my nick is sharkcz).

final notes:
- the init ramdisks are prepared by hand from a template created by
mkinitrd
- the *.padded files are supposed to be written to the QNAP's flash
memory (2 MB kernel, 9 MB ramdisk)
- red/green blinking of the power led is expected

Dan

[1] http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=122
[2] http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM#Latest_Release:_Fedora_11