CD Artwork

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Apr 6 02:26:36 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 20:10, David Nichols <dwnichols at charter.net> wrote:
> Patrick-
> If it's forth coming, then I assume someone's working on it. If that's
> the case... Is there a similar project that no one is presently working on?
> I'm willing to take on a small project to get my feet wet but don't know
> what is needed.

If you want to tackle materials that go along with packaging and labelling, we
really don't have much.  Beyond the logo and artwork on the website and the
basic artwork for labelling DVD media, we really don't have much of anything.
For example, we have nothing for box art.  The Marketing project can always
use new artwork, too.  We can use presentations, brochures, hand-outs,
banners, etc.  If you want specific suggestions, try the project's mailing
list.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

> I have one comment to your statement:
>
> "We do want to give distributors as
> much flexibility as possible to use different types of media and packaging
> and to prepare and decorate that packaging in a suitable manner."
>

> "Suitable manner" is the question. As stated on the wiki, burning to CDR
> and writing "Fedora™ Core 5" on it with a felt tip reflects poorly on
> the project as a whole and should be discouraged. I guess my question
> could be re-stated: "What's the minimum acceptable?" or "What's
> encouraged?". Obviously you don't want to set something up where the
> Fedora project has to "approve" layouts, but what would the Fedora
> project like to see?

New Trademark Guidelines are also in the works.  They will more clearly define
how the Fedora logo and trademark can be used.  Until they are established,
specific usage cases can be presented for consideration.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo

Of course, we really don't want to stop the average user from burning CD-Rs
and labelling them with a Sharpie, but vendors who sell the media are
expected to produce more presentable materials.  We don't have standards or
guidelines for this right now, only the requirements named by the current
trademark guidelines.  Until we define something solid, we'll most likely
just establish guidelines by precedent.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com