License for Community Contributed Art?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Apr 4 06:21:57 UTC 2006

Warren Togami wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Currently all Bluecurve theme art contained in Fedora is under the GPL.
>  This however might not be the best license for art contributions to
> Fedora.  Karsten Wade suggested maybe the OPL that we use for Fedora
> Documentation would be good for Fedora Art.  Tango Project is using CC
> attribution share-alike license.
>
> Could you please talk to legal and figure out the best license for
> Fedora Art contributions?

How 'Fedora Art contributions' are defined? Only the graphics included
in the distro or all the graphics one can contribute, like web banners,
buttons, optional wallpapers, screencasts, CD covers, t-shirt templates
etc.?
For the second option, try to find something 1. easy to understand 2.
with a low barrier to entry. Usually graphics people are not experienced
hackers, requiring them to use the Fedora Account System can be a show
stopper.
Look at Tango Project: a CC license so everyone can understand it and an
easy way to contribute. Look also at art.gnome.org. Outside FOSS world,
look at www.deviantart.com.

> And do we want Bluecurve to remain under the GPL?  Some art contributors
> were interested in submitting new icons in the Bluecurve theme, so we
> need to think about how we handle this as we grow the art community.

Are there solid arguments for Bluecurve to NOT remain under GPL?

Is this a good opportunity to ask about the future of Bluecurve? For a
large period of time its development was almost stopped, it covers now
only a tiny portion of the desktop, so it would need to either receive
serious attention and heavy development (Bluecurve 2 ?) or to be dropped
for another set which is actively maintained (Tango ?).

--
nicu
my hats collection: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/hats/