License for Community Contributed Art?

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Tue Apr 4 17:58:32 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 01:21, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > Currently all Bluecurve theme art contained in Fedora is under the GPL.
> >  This however might not be the best license for art contributions to
> > Fedora.  Karsten Wade suggested maybe the OPL that we use for Fedora
> > Documentation would be good for Fedora Art.  Tango Project is using CC
> > attribution share-alike license.
> >
> > Could you please talk to legal and figure out the best license for
> > Fedora Art contributions?
>
> How 'Fedora Art contributions' are defined? Only the graphics included
> in the distro or all the graphics one can contribute, like web banners,
> buttons, optional wallpapers, screencasts, CD covers, t-shirt templates
> etc.?

All artwork, whether included in the distribution or not, will need to be
covered by the same license.

> For the second option, try to find something 1. easy to understand 2.
> with a low barrier to entry. Usually graphics people are not experienced
> hackers, requiring them to use the Fedora Account System can be a show
> stopper.

The Account System will not be optional.  We require the CLA for licensing,
and no exceptions to this can be made.  We all want to streamline the process
and make it easier for new contributors to complete, but that will take time.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/