In search of better visual metaphors for icons

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Mon Aug 7 18:54:30 UTC 2006

Hello...

Would like to start a discussion on finding better visual metaphors for
icons.

Icons are visual representations of tasks, items, and actions on the
desktop.  Within the square proportioned box of usually 16x16 to 48x48
pixels, an image resides to aide users in their interaction with the
computer.  Most of the time, the icons are pretty straight
forward...printer, for printer/printing/to print.  However, there are
some that are less clear.

- I'd like to start off by discussing the "system-log-out" icon.  The
image of an arrow pointing to an open door is visually displeasing...I
believe we can do better.  Visually, the current representation does not
fit in...while most images are objects/symbols, the log-out icon is a
doorway leading to a black space.  Hope that made sense.

- [folder-remote]
Mola created one this weekend [1] and David Nielsen had a couple of
suggestions of improvements [2].  It is a rather tough idea to
visualize.  I'd like to come up with an idea to universally signify
remote.  I'm not convinced about the "pipes" that Tango uses.

- [preferences-desktop-theme]
Do we like the "tie and shirt" icon?  I don't feel strongly either way,
but thought there might be some better representation.  Bluecurve uses a
block with different colors and I also see another icon with a file and
a little hat overlaid on it.

Feel free to add others to this list...these are just the three I have
been looking at recently.
Diana

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2006-August/msg00047.html