FreeArt license compatible with GPL and Fedora Project?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 14:09:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 09:48 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> tir, 08 08 2006 kl. 15:34 +0800, skrev Luya Tshimbalanga:
> > I stumbled on that license by playing with Inkscape. I am wondering if
> > that license is compatible with GPL and can be used for Fedora Project.
> > Here is the page:
> >
> > http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/en/
>
> According to fsf.org:
>
> Free Art License
>
>         This is a free and copyleft license meant for artistic works. It
>         permits commercial distribution, but any larger work including
>         the copylefted work must be free. Please don't use it for
>         software or documentation, since it is incompatible with the GNU
>         GPL and with the GNU FDL.

Just to be clear on this Luya, the operative clause is that the Free
Software Foundation considers this license to be free, and therefore it
may indeed be a good choice.  I'll run this by the advisory board to see
if it's a good choice for Fedora artwork.  The cautionary statement at
the end simply means that you shouldn't use this license for software or
docs, but it doesn't mean that GPL-licensed software can't live happily
and comfortably next to FAL-licensed artwork.  David, thanks for looking
this up.