RFC: Vision defect control suite for artwork

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 01:26:06 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:
> During the recent debate on the new icon theme I brought the question of
> testing your work against known vision defects like red/green color
> blindness, blurry vision and such things.
>
> However it does not seem that we have an easy to use tool to simulate
> all these various issues, therefore I would like to propose that we work
> on building one. I would be willing to dust off my coding skills and
> give this a shot however I need some help figuring out the math behind
> the various defects.

I started a new thread on this; you might want to check out some of the
links I cited as they have equations that may be useful for blurred
vision impairments.

> I have been able to dig up all kinds of genetic details as to how this
> works but not a single reference to an algorithm we could apply to the
> transform operation.

 From googling for 'color blindness simulation equations' I unearthed
the following references:

[1] http://steve.hollasch.net/cgindex/color/color-blind.html "Color
Blindness Theory, Simulation"

[2]
http://vision.psychol.cam.ac.uk/jdmollon/papers/Dichromat_simulation.pdf
"Computerized simulation of color appearance
for dichromats"

I'm sure further googling will produce more reference materials.