Preview of new scaled down icons (was Re: New Icon Set...[echo]...)

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Thu Aug 10 19:08:23 UTC 2006

The way I see/saw it was to have at least 2 vector versions for each
file.  One for the Larger sizes (following the isometric grid) and one
for the Smaller sizes (which is a simplified version and at a head-on
view).  As to where the break down point is, I did not know whether it
was at 24 or at the next size down...so my plan was to create "small"
for 16x16.  With the two ends of the spectrum, we could then either
enlarge the smaller vector or shrink the larger one.

If the icon's shape is changed at any point along the way (which some
will probably have to)...meaning that it is not merely some pixel
cleanup...then a vector file should also be provided to accompany the
.png.

I was also not sure why Tango only had one vector file (of the large
size per icon) when some of their icons looks very different at the
three sizes.  So, NO, we're definitely not doing that.

Bluecurve does have vector files at it's various sizes but a large
number are just a resizing of the larger icon vector.  This is something
that I would like to do eventually.  But given the time and resource
constraints now, I don't see the point in saving several versions of the
same vector file, but just smaller.

This is not to say that it shouldn't be done...but perhaps after we get
a good set going.  Post-release, I do plan on cleaning up the .svgs,
creating various sizes, and also adding in the shadow in the svg file (I
just can't get it to look good now).

In conclusion...each icon should have at least one large vector and one
small vector version.  If you feel that icon sizes in between need
special attention resulting in an altered vector file, please do so and
post that.

Diana