Testing out the theme

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Sat Aug 12 00:32:53 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
> Hi
>
> Users who want to take a look at this new Echo theme would want a
> quick and easy way to install and check it out.
>
> Currently all I see is a list of SVG files in a wiki page. Can we put
> up a tarball appropriately packaged or a RPM package that is updated
> frequently perhaps?

Hello again...

I mentioned this over lunch today and J5 (John Palmieri) wrote a python
script to pull all the files from the wiki.  (attached).  Yeay!  The
following are some technical details that he included if someone would
like to take this on and modify it.  Like last time, I've got two
.tar...one is just the PNGs [1] and the other is PNG+SVG (44.1M) [2].
The naming of the files are a bit different this time as it is pulled
directly from the wiki. Leon, if you could do what you did last time,
that would be great!

Thanks,
Diana

[1] http://people.redhat.com/dfong/icons/echo48_0.11.tar.bz2
[2] http://people.redhat.com/dfong/icons/echo_0.11.tar.bz2

J5 wrote:

Attached is the python script used to pull them all from the wiki.  I whipped it up pretty quickly and there are several areas where it can be improved if someone wants to work on it:

* It uses a base directory of echo_art/ this should be able to be
overridden by a command line switch
* If the directory exists it should confirm with the user and then
delete or move the old directory
* Statistics could be added as well as a way to diff previous pulls to
see what has changed
* There is already a filter function that returns a new name and
directory based on the icons name.  Right now the script just checks for
'image-missing' and returns None indicating that icon should not be
downloaded.  This filter function can be expanded to filter icons into
specific directories for easier packaging provided you have a consistent
naming scheme on the wiki.
* Inputs need to be filtered to make sure someone doesn't add input on
the wiki that would cause the script to do bad thing on your machine.
Right now it is not an issue but if the filter function gets more
complex (such as using a part of a file name as the directory) you might
want to scan those directory strings to make sure characters like ~
or .. don't get in.
* Someone could add a specfile generator and auto packager so that new
sets of icons can be tested easily.

Hope this helps you guys out and I can't wait to see the new icons in
action.

-- John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com>