Names for icons that are not on the Tango list...

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Sun Aug 13 09:49:21 UTC 2006

Diana Fong wrote:
> I created a couple of icons that were not on the Tango list...and so
> made up my own names accordingly.  Examples include:
> drive-harddisk-usb/firewire, drive-removable-usb/firewire,
> format-justify-last-left, format-justify-last-right...etc.  Hopefully
> they're ok.
Hi Diana!
This is not really my area of expertise, but I hope I can be to some
help (those who are better than me on this stuff is free to shoot me
where I am incorrect :).

What are format-justify-last-right used for? Following the regular
naming scheme I feel format-justify-left-last fits better, as a theme
can then fall back on format-justify-left if it misses
format-justify-left-last. (I guess that is how it should work, not sure
if it currently does).
I think I read somewhere that the name "firewire" is trademarked, so
perhaps it's wiser to use the name ieee1394 (I  think that is the
correct name). <http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IEEE_1394.html>
> Is there a more comprehensive list somewhere that I haven't found or
> could these extra names be submitted somewhere to Tango to help
> maintain consistency.  I saw this link with the "Icon Naming
> Specifications" [1] which is not equal to the "Icon Metaphors" list [2].
The common metaphors list is a bit dated (and some of the names are
wrong due to spec-changes), as no one has taken responsibility for that
in a while. Anyone up for the job?
Icon-naming-spec on fd.o is up to date though.
> Lastly...I've made battery icons for PowerManager but the naming
> scheme is nowhere to be found on Tango.  I was pointed to [3] but the
> names seems different to what might fit in the Tango naming scheme.
You should probably use the names powermanger use, I think Richard used
the gpm-prefix as the icons were pretty app-specific, and it would be a
bit weird to have those in a spec.
> Please advise.
>
> [1]
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html