Gnome splash Image

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Sat Aug 19 08:41:02 UTC 2006

Hi Steve!
The reason that GNOME has a splash screen is because it starts up so
slow that the user has to have something to look up while the system
starts nautilus, the panel and other stuff. Other than that it mostly
gets in the way of getting peoples work done. Imagine if your tv had a
splash screen that appeared for 10 seconds when you turned it on. I know
I would go nuts, because I don't want to know the name of the
tv-manufacturer one more time, I want to watch CSI!
The splash will probably still be in the 2.16 release, but hopefully we
can kill it for 2.18.
- Andreas