Help with New Default Theme for FC 6 and the plan for FC7+

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 31 21:13:26 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:

> FEDORA CORE 7 AND BEYOND
> ========================
>
> Since there really was no formal process in place to get community
> artwork contributions into Fedora for FC6, we're kind of doing this all
> last-minute. In the future, we'd like to work on having a more formal
> process by which people can submit concepts up until a certain date,
> full theme mockups up until a certain date, and then an advisory board
> of some sort could be in place to make a decision on which theme
> actually gets in.
>
> This is all still nebulous and cloudy at this point but once we get
> through FC6 I hope this is something we can all work together on to
> ensure that community artwork will be a part of Fedora in the future!

Admittedly the (non existent) process has resulted in confusion but I
didnt realise that there was a problem in getting artwork into the
distribution.  If have major issues in governance, it would help to
highlight issues earlier in the development cycle so that we dont have
to rush things in the last minute.

 From FC7 onwards, the freeze for all changes including new artwork
would be before the test2 releases and we would define a process for
exceptions artwork people would need to follow along with the rest of
the developers.

We still need to discuss the process of selecting one particular theme
amoung several submissions that usually turn up. That is something the
people involved here need to figure out. I dont want the board to micro
manage. We are not artists unlike the people here.

If you are using the logo in the artwork, please submit it to the board
for approval. The logo is part of our Fedora trademark and we need to
legally protect it or risk losing it. We have been discussing using more
freely licensed alternative logos among other things since the current
situation is obviously not a healthy one.

Thanks

Rahul