Help with New Default Theme for FC 6 and the plan for FC7+

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 18:37:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

So Rahul brought up a discussion about the default theme artwork for
FC6, which resulted in some discussions between various folks in Fedora,
which basically led to the following:

FEDORA CORE SIX THEME
=====================

We can have a new theme in FC6, but we've got to get it in by next
Tuesday (September 5) which is the test 3 freeze. After it gets in of
course we can fix bugs and whatnot but it should really be the best it
can possibly be for test 3.

Since this is really short notice Diana and I decided in #fedora-art
that we'd try to go with the most complete theme which is the DNA theme
[1] and also try to work with the c6re logo since it's slated to be used
as the banner for the release [2]. The strand SVG artwork is also at my
deviant art page [3].

Neither of these have received particularly negative feedback and a lot
of positive feedback so it seems relatively low-risk to go with them.

So, basically we're trying to put some stuff together in a flurry, and
we'd love it if you could join us in #fedora-art (since IRC is a bit
quicker than email.) Please feel free to modify any of the artwork to
help us complete the bits we need for a default theme. Feedback and
critique is as always encouraged.

As per Bill Nottingham's email to fedora-devel-list [4], the following
is what we're looking to have:

- GDM theme - we already have this but can stand to have some graphical
modifications. It needs to keep same layout though so we don't have to
modify the GDM theme markup too heavily.
- GNOME/KDE splash
- GRUB splash
- syslinux splash ("Anaconda Prompt Screen" on the themeing overview)
- anaconda artwork
- firstboot artwork
- RHGB splash
- screensaver lock
- (optional) GTK theme
- (optional) icon theme

Screenshots of what these look like are available on the Fedora Artwork
wiki themeing overview page [5].

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemeSubmissions/DNATheme
[2] http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37918014/
[3] http://www.deviantart.com/view/37508168/
[4]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-August/msg01201.html
[5] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview

FEDORA CORE 7 AND BEYOND
========================

Since there really was no formal process in place to get community
artwork contributions into Fedora for FC6, we're kind of doing this all
last-minute. In the future, we'd like to work on having a more formal
process by which people can submit concepts up until a certain date,
full theme mockups up until a certain date, and then an advisory board
of some sort could be in place to make a decision on which theme
actually gets in.

This is all still nebulous and cloudy at this point but once we get
through FC6 I hope this is something we can all work together on to
ensure that community artwork will be a part of Fedora in the future!

Thanks,