FC7 Theme Round 1 is over, let's start round 2! (was Re: Round 1 Submission Deadline Extension)

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri Dec 8 03:18:31 UTC 2006

Okay, so round 1 is officially over. The list that Nicu so helpfully
compiled (thanks!!) is the official list of theme candidates for FC7. I
linked to all of them from the FC7 Theme page as well:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/FC7Themes

I've also took a lot of the round 1 specific information out of the page
and added round 2 specific information. Basically, here's how I'm hoping
we can run round 2 as is written on the wiki page:

"There is no formal voting process for themes right now (in round 2).
You vote with your time and effort! So if you really like a theme idea,
chip in and help refine it! For our next round (round 3), we'll take
stock of how the themes have evolved and try to figure out which ones we
need to choose between if there is no clear standout candidate."

While the main point of round 1 was to figure out concepts we felt would
relate to Fedora, for round 2 we should be focusing on rendering those
concepts and making them visually appealing. As part of this, we'll
probably want to start thinking about how some key theme pieces will
look - GDM (login), RHGB (start-up progress screen), and of course the
desktop wallpaper. But there's no need to flesh every theming piece out
for round 2 (that's what round 3 will be all about!) The name of the
game now though is definitely 'polish'.

Anyway, to further develop the theme(s) of your selection, try thinking
about some of these kinds of questions and sketch out your answers:

- Does the color palette of this theme reflect the idea I'm trying to
portray?
- Does the style this theme is rendered in reflect its concept? What
other styles might be appropriate?
- What other pieces of art or design that I've seen also reflect this
concept and could serve as inspiration to this theme?
- How grating or pleasant would this theme be for a desktop user to see
every single day? Is there anything about it that stands out and calls
too much attention to itself? How can I 'mute' this design so it stands
in the background without compromising its ability to relate its concept?
- Are there alternative ways of arranging the visual elements in this
theme that might be more effective? Try looking through some of the
Gestalt principles [1] for inspiration on alternative ways to represent
your concept and to play around with your theme visually.

You may want to try to recruit other artists to help out with your
theme. Deviant art [2] is one good place to do that; I'm sure there are
others.

Anyway, here's the list Nicu put together with a summary of what each
theme is about. I took off the two themes that weren't formally proposed
since they don't actually have a concept statement or wiki pages:

> - Borealis, by Máirín Duffy:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fc7ThemeProposalFedoraBorealis

'One of the core values of Fedora is only including free and open source
software, without including non-free software, codecs, drivers, patents,
etc. We try to be a *pure* operating system. So the main word I'd use to
describe this theme is pure.'

> - Flying High, by John Baer:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fc7ThemeProposalFlyingHigh

'Flying high reflects the level of achievement obtained by the core 7
release of fedora.'

> - Dreams, by John Baer:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fc7ThemeProposalFedoraDreams

'The idea here is you are only limited by what you can imagine.'

> - Planet, by Mola Pahnadayan:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fc7ThemeProposalplanet

(none stated)

> - Energy Interferences, by Jiri Jakub Masek:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fc7ThemeProposalEnergyInterferences

'All of this universe is built on the energy interferences. The theme is
based on a visualization how could these interferences look if we could
see them in a *sub-subatomic* level.'

~m

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestalt_psychology
[2] http://www.deviantart.com/